Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First bare shaft test

Was not good!

I shot a blemished 500 gold tip with a 150gr tip and 125gr normal inserts and shot terrible.

Shot a gold tip warrior 400 with 150gr and 125. I shoot these the best at 0-20yds hitting consistent within a coke can circle regularly.
    Bare shaft was not bullet hole

Shot a warrior 500 same heads still no bullethole

Shot a gold tip traditional 600 with 150 and 125 and still notta. Thought this one was gonna do it, but it’s 9.1gr/inch

These are all full length arrows.
    Bow is right at 40lbs @26 1/2 -3/4 draw.

Am I doing something wrong or do I continue buying shafts? Would heavier inserts make difference? Wrapping them? Lighted nock?

First bare shaft test

If you are new to trad shooting, you be better off just to shoot was flies reasonably well, and work on your form for a while. Tuning can be a nightmare if your form is not pretty consistent.

And where did you get 125gr inserts???? I’ve never seen those before.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A couple thoughts:
      1. Unless you are almost machine like in shooting consistency, bareshaft tuning is useless. If the bareshafts are not consistently flying in the same orientation you're just on a snipe hunt.

2. It can take more than a 25 grain weight difference to change the dynamic spine of an arrow enough to matter.

3. How close to Austin are you? I'd be happy to shoot with you a couple times and help with tuning.

Comment

Bisch it was 125 points. I was typing in frustration.
        I ended up watching a few videos on others.
        The gold tip classic with 125gr headband the 75gr xt insert flew good, still was weak spined so I cut it down to 29 1/2 and bare shaft it almost perfect. Gonna add some feathers and hopefully made progress! Now that I’m figuring things I’m wanting a heavier draw bow so I can just start it all over again. My form is pretty consistent!

What helical should I use?
        Also the feathers I shoot now cut the side of my nose some when I shoot. Am I overdrawing?

Comment

Nock feather in or out?

Gary

Comment

Nock feather, I’m assuming is the odd color on most? Out!

Comment

First bare shaft test

I doubt it is the feathers cutting your nose. More likely the string, esp if you are shooting straight up and down as opposed to canting the bow. I know some folks that have to put a piece of tape on their nose every time they shoot or there will be a bloody mess by the time they are done!

Which helical is all personal preference. Some use right, some left. The only time it really matters is if you use single bevel broadheads. Then, the helical should match the bevel of the head.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 03-16-2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Who is the Bowyer?

Comment

Easy way to tell us turn the arrow to shoot nock feather in.

Gary

Comment

Doing a lot of shooting I am shooting very well when draw and then go a hair past pinching my scapulas. Works very well!
                    My arrow that shoots is a gold tip classic cut to 28 1/4 with 125gr head. And 75 gr insert.
                    Arrow comes close to 450 grains. I’m gonna shoot a wrap and lumenock if it shoots well. Getting me close to 500gr arrow weight.
                    Bare shaft it shoots straight!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4Jesus View Post
                      Doing a lot of shooting I am shooting very well when draw and then go a hair past pinching my scapulas. Works very well!
                      My arrow that shoots is a gold tip classic cut to 28 1/4 with 125gr head. And 75 gr insert.
                      Arrow comes close to 450 grains. I’m gonna shoot a wrap and lumenock if it shoots well. Getting me close to 500gr arrow weight.
                      Bare shaft it shoots straight!
                      Just bare in mind that the extra weight on the rear of the arrow will stiffen the dynamic spine. I’d suggest tuning with that extra weight on the back.

Comment

I did think about that and honestly may not go that route because it would change everything! I cant cut to much more off the shaft.
                        I am super consistent hitting a quarter sized spot at 15-20 yards with the warrior 400’s 30” with 150 grains tips up front. They are definitely not tuned as they are pretty stiff, How can they fly so well, meaning consistency? If they shoot that good what actually does tuning the arrow do? That is what I am not understanding?

Comment

First bare shaft test

If you are “super consistent” hitting a quarter sized dot at 15-20yds, I wouldn’t change a thing for now, and I’d probably go sign up for a few tournaments too!!!

You will never get much better than quarter sized dots, consistently, at 15-20yds!!!!

Bisch

Comment

110% with Bisch on this one! That’s some mighty fine shootin!! Good Huntin and GodBless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4Jesus View Post
                              I did think about that and honestly may not go that route because it would change everything! I cant cut to much more off the shaft.
                              I am super consistent hitting a quarter sized spot at 15-20 yards with the warrior 400’s 30” with 150 grains tips up front. They are definitely not tuned as they are pretty stiff, How can they fly so well, meaning consistency? If they shoot that good what actually does tuning the arrow do? That is what I am not understanding?
                              A poorly tuned arrow will shoot as consistently as you can. With a field point. If they are way out, broadheads will fly like crap! Also tuned arrows more forgiving of release and form flaws. Energy is wasted as the fletching tries to correct a sideways flying arrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X