Which rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which rings?

I recently bought a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag that came with a 2 power Burris pistol scope. When I was shooting it today, the scope rotated in the rings due to the recoil of the pistol, I can only assume. I was shooting 240 grain JHP rounds and I dont know if this was too much for the rings and scope or what. I dont know if they are not correctly torqued or if they were just loose, but the crosshairs are crooked.

What rings would yall recommend for the Redhawk? Thanks.

Realign and re tighten by hand.

Comment

Any other suggestions?

Comment

If there is a high spot in the rings, they may not be gripping the scope over the entire surface area. Might try lapping the rings.

Comment

Doesn't have anything to do with the rings, but do you reload? The .44 mag is what pushed me to get into reloading. I have a Matchpoint Ultradot red dot sight on mine. I like it better than the leupold scope that was on it when I got it.

You can buy coated bullets and reload for a fraction of the cost of store bought. If I had to rely on store bought, I couldn't afford to shoot .44.

Bayou Bullets is a leader in premium coated cast bullets to top competition shooters and discriminating reloaders. We use a unique heat-set "HI-TEK Supercoat" manufactured by J&M Specialized Products P/L in Australia.

Comment

As was said, first thing I would do is reset the scope and torque the rings down then try it again. Lapping the rings for alignment and fit would be advised as well.

Comment

I'd add some friction tape in the bottom of the rings. It helps on scoped magnum handguns.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                Doesn't have anything to do with the rings, but do you reload? The .44 mag is what pushed me to get into reloading. I have a Matchpoint Ultradot red dot sight on mine. I like it better than the leupold scope that was on it when I got it.

You can buy coated bullets and reload for a fraction of the cost of store bought. If I had to rely on store bought, I couldn't afford to shoot .44.

http://www.bayoubullets.net/44-calib...gr-swc-500-ct/
                I dont reload.

Comment

Anybody have any suggestions on which rings to buy? I am also going to put a scope on my GP100, so that is another reason for me starting this thread.

Comment

Coach, a set of 1" came with my SRH I think. They are 2 different heights. I went with the ruger 30mm when I mounted the red dot.

Comment

Many years ago, I had a 2X scope on my Super Blackhawk. I never had any problems with the scope moving around. I always loaded the loads I loaded up on the hot side. For a long time, only 240 gr. jacketed hollow points, then later on 180 gr. jacketed hollow points. I am pretty sure Ruger makes rings for any of their guns, that they machine or scope rings. Most likely the rings were not properly torqued before. Not sure how much difference there is in the amount of jarring the scope is subjected to, when mounted on the barrel, compared to mounting on top of the receiver. The mount I had for my Super Blackhawk, mounted on top of the receiver. Probably similar in how hard the scopes would be jarred mounted on the barrel or receiver, but I would not be surprised if mounting the scope on the barrel might subject the scope to worse jarring.
                      The double action revolvers and single action revolvers, recoil a bit differently, but not greatly different. I know single action revolvers like the Super Blackhawk, the barrel rotates up more typically, because of the design of the frame and grip. Also the single actions are typically lighter than similar chambered double actions.

I don't think you should have much of a problem with the scope moving in the rings, if they are tightened properly. I would more worry about the scope being damaged. Years ago, I never had any problems with the pistol scopes I used, typically they were cheap stuff, like Bushnell or Tasco. I did have a couple of Redfields back when they were good scopes. The Redfields were definitely clearer scope, but none had problems holding zero or were ever damaged. But in recent times, I has seen multiple rifle scopes damaged, kind of makes me wonder about modern pistol scopes.

Comment

Working...
                      X