.410 for doves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Don't have any pics of me as we were "competing" lol, but I did find a couple of him trying to make it work out in the corn fields. I prefer a 20 ga with 20 ga shell prices out there.... I had a Fausti 410 for a while and I just didn't like the gun. Sold it and never bought a replacement. Need to tell him to bring the 410s this fall for old times sake.

*Fausti O/U 410

Comment

All I used growing up for dove and everything else was a hand me down Rem 11-48 .410 with full and IC barrels. It hasn't killed a dove in years but maybe I need to break it out again. I bet my hit rate won't be what it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
        All I used growing up for dove and everything else was a hand me down Rem 11-48 .410 with full and IC barrels. It hasn't killed a dove in years but maybe I need to break it out again. I bet my hit rate won't be what it once was.
        That’s actually the same model I have, the 11-48, I called it an 1100 earlier and always call it that for some reason, I also have a pump Winchester model 42, both were hand me downs from my grandad, really cool shotguns, but I still kill way more birds every year with the benelli sbe 12ga

Comment

Shot a single shot and killed a many of doves as a kid q my dad hunting doves. Moved onto a pump 410 around 12yrs old. I'm 39 and still will only shoot a 20 at doves. My dads 67 and shoots the single shot I grew up shooting! Then again hes the best shot I've ever seen in my life. No one believes me till they shoot with him. Hes even picked off quite a few rattlers with a .22. Love my dad..

Comment

I have enough trouble hitting a dove with a 12ga, why would i want to handicap myself anymore by using a .410?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              I have enough trouble hitting a dove with a 12ga, why would i want to handicap myself anymore by using a .410?
              It’s psychological. With a 12 you have a tendency to blast away. With a .410 you tend to concentrate on making a better shot. Similar to using a semiauto verses a single shot.

Comment

Certainly depends on your hunting set up. If you are getting close shots they are fun and light without beating your shoulder up. I loved my Mossberg pump 410. But...most of my Dove hunting was the prairie areas of Colorado and it was almost worthless in those conditions, the birds were fast and far and the results were disappointing.

Comment

Bought a Remy 1100 410 last year off a buddy. It's about 3yrs old. Shooting 3" Fiocchi out of it. Shot limit of dove opening morning. I'm used to a 12ga so it took me 4-5 shots to realized my limitations was 30-35yds max. BUT MAN IT WAS A BLAST!!! It felt weird cause I'd literally see the bird hit and falling before I realized I shot. Shot 3-4 rds of 5 stand and skeet a couple weeks prior to get used to light weight gun. It's not as hard as people make it to be IMO. I was shooting 18-20 out of 25 with ease on the range.

Comment

I learned to shoot with a 410 and dove hunted with it until I was about 11 or 12. Dad shoots a Model 42 (410) for dove/quail and still shoots better than I do with my 20ga.

Comment

My friends that shoot 410 have a smaller pile of birds. Still fun. Mourning dove make for an even smaller pile

Comment

When my grandfather died, he left me a sxs 410. Killed the first dove that flew by me with it. May have to get it out again this season.

Comment

Well I picked up a Yeildz o/u .410. We’ll see how things go. Really like the feel of the gun. But man shells are high😩😩

Comment

Killed a lot of birds with a single shot H&R 410. Dove, Quail, Pheasant, and woodcock. Still have it. love that lil gun. It is a squirrel killing machine. mostly 2.5 in shells, but do load up 3 inches for early fall folliage busting.

Comment

Was never an issue as a kid. I had two guns a 22lr and double barrel 410. Its just hitting what you are aiming at. Mine had full choke on both.

Comment

Working...
                              X