Sandhill Crane Shells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandhill Crane Shells?

Going up this weekend to shoot some sandhill. You guys that have hunted them, what size shot do you use?

Bird shot sucks. BB or #4 buck.

Comment

Lead #2 if hunting fields.
      Steel BB if hunting over water

Disclaimer:If you are hunting over water then you are doing it all wrong

Comment

Originally posted by fishman View Post
        Going up this weekend to shoot some sandhill. You guys that have hunted them, what size shot do you use?
        Where are y'all headed?

Comment

#2 out of a 36' barreled Marlin Goose gun!

Reach out and touch them!

Comment

I have killed plenty of them with #2 steel. If you are hunting where you might get a shot at geese, you will want some kind of non toxic. #2 -BBB will do it. If no other birds involved any bigger lead shot will do. If you want to spend the extra money the tungsten loads are great & can shoot smaller shot for denser patterns.

Comment

good luck

Comment

On my only Sandhill hunt I went on 2 years ago, I used 3.5" BB...just because I could. I shot 3 times and killed 3 birds.

I used steel, but it's legal to use lead shot for Sandhill cranes.

Comment

Got a box of Winchester Super XX copper plated lead #2, just for Sandhills over grain fields or pass shooting. I think I have killed 6 with them.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                    Where are y'all headed?
                    we are hunting a field up by Quanah. Sounds like I don't need steel since we are not hunting over water. Thanks for the input fellas!

Comment

#4 turkey loads will flat crush them. Over decoys or pass shooting

Comment

Originally posted by fishman View Post
                        we are hunting a field up by Quanah. Sounds like I don't need steel since we are not hunting over water. Thanks for the input fellas!
                        If there is a chance you'll have geese in the area you may want steel regardless of field or pond. I don't know how it is in the panhandle but down here on the coast I don't think I ever went crane hunting that we didn't kill geese. You can kill 'em with steel just fine. I'd tell you go with steel BB or BBB. What you'll find is the heavy lead loads are going to be harder to find and more expensive than steel as well.

Comment

We shoot 3.5" BB. Works great for pass shooting or decoying birds. Flatten any wounded birds as quickly as you can.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a fan of "T" shot. They seem to bring them down better for me out of the 12 ga. I use "BBB" in the 10 ga when I bring it out.

P.S. Careful with wounded birds. They'll scratch the hell out of you.

Comment

What size choke were y’all using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X