2019 Hill Country Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Hill Country Success

The property I lease is out between Fredericksburg and Llano. Have hunted this same piece of property since I killed my first deer there in 1991. I have a bond with this land like no other. I will never be able to afford something this nice for myself but am grateful for the time and opportunities that have presented themselves here. I have grown up on this ground hunting with my father and grandfather. I have recently had the blessing of having 2 young boys of my own. To have them feel their first tag here would be a dream come true.

That all being said, things came together for me again this past week and was able to take another solid Texas Hill Country buck. This property is 700 acres divided by a large ridge that cuts the property in half with several creeks and draws on either side. We have plenty of oaks covering the property and many larger oaks down on the creek beds that really hold some solid deer. We have fed protein on the property for the last 10 years or so.The gains we have seen an in antler size but more than anything, the age structure of our bucks is on the rise. More bucks on our lease are making it to 4-6 yr old range every year. It was rare to see a 5+ deer on the lease 10 yrs ago.

After rifle hunting for 25 years I need a change of pace, a little more excitement so to speak. I dove off in to the world of bow hunting and have gained a whole new passion for hunting. The pure adrenaline rush of having mature deer in such close proximity is a game changer. Have been bow hunting for the last 4 years and have only shot 2 bucks. Surprisingly I've passed better bucks with my bow than I ever have with a rifle. Having the ability to be so close and examine a deer at 10-15 yds really helps. Have passed a couple 10s that may go 140+ but were still young.

Posted are the 2 8s that I've taken with my bow the last 2 seasons, and a couple other bucks i've taken pics of just to pass the time. Hunt Hard Gentlemen.

Good Luck
    Attached Files

Great pics, and even better 8s. Congrats. Definitely a unique area.

Comment

Congrats and I hope you getting to watch your 2 boys hang their 1st tag where you have grown up will be a great day for sure.

Comment

Congrats and hope you get to keep enjoying it!

Comment

Great post! Welcome to the fire!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Welcome neighbor! Judging by the pictures, we may share some herd genetics! Willow City is one of the prettiest places in TX.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Solid buck. Love how the main beams curl. Congrats. Hope your boys get a crack at that land also.
                I agree...The Hill country is something special.

Comment

Congratulations on becoming a bowhunter! It's definitely a rush to have deer in at close range. Keep it up and teach those young un's how to hunt.

Comment

Great looking buck, congrats.

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the fire. There’s nothing like bow hunting

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Fortunate Soul Sir, Willow city Is Sweet, good luck on your season and congratulations on your progress, keep up the good work.Seen any elk? Theres a few in your area.

Comment

Working...
                          X