Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
    As I read through this thread and see all of the strong "clinical" views, it sure would be nice to see where everyone received their education on the topic.

Like...

"Putting butter in my coffee is better than eating a balanced breakfast."

- learned this from YouTube, Facebook, and Joe Rogan

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    from all the infomercials on facebook, where else?

its funny to go through facebook and see all the "KETO" pushers and their standard response of "PM ME" everytime someone asks a question about the stuff.

If the diet works for you, then great. If it doesn't... just move on. I do the Keto coffee because I rarely eat breakfast at all, and it is a good way to get my calorie and fat intake up, curbs my hunger until 2-3pm and works for me.

I would love to see where people got a lot of their clinical training as well. Do y'all have any?

I am inclined to question the USDA nutrition recommendations with all the about faces they have had recently regarding many of the long term food recommendations. Regardless, for MANY people... breaking the glucose/insulin dependency has a dramatic positive effect on their health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
      I just finished week 2 Monday . Down 10lbs . So far it has been easy for me to follow .
      Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
      That is awesome man. It will even out. You'll have weeks where you stall and dont lose any weight and then other weeks where you lose more than expected. Just keep plodding along.

Also, take your measurements. Even though you may not lose weight for a week or 2, i'm willing to bet you'll still lose inches during those times.
      I just started week four this past Monday and I am down 11-12 ish pounds. My scale has been acting up and giving different readings but I am not too concerned on an exact number. I have been lifting weights and feel like I have put on little bit of muscle. Additionally, I know I am losing weight as I have noticed my clothes is starting to fit a lot looser. Best of all, I feel great and no longer get a lull in energy.

Comment

I started the Keto deal with my wife just for support for her as she wanted to drop 10-15 pounds. She has bailed on it, but I'm in my 9th week and I'm down 18 lbs. I don't call it a diet or anything like that. I don't count calories (I've always failed in the long run doing that), I just eat, natural fat, protein and leafy greens/other veggies but no potatoes, rice or processed carbs. I do still drink beer but I keep my carbs under 50ish a day. I've found keto brownies, pancakes and other substitutes for cravings. It's been a lifestyle change and my gut has thanked me. I make sure I get a vitamin supplement and plenty of potassium, sodium and water. My eating habits prior to Keto was more harmful than any of the side effects from Keto.

I workout 5-6 days a week; uscrossfit.com, running, road bike and obstacle type stuff. I don't have any problems with energy during any workouts, even ones lasting several hours. I worked out the same before I changed my eating habits, but never saw the change of actually burning FAT not glucose for fuel. The fat is melting and definition has begun. I feel great and plan on not going back to processed carbs.

Just my experience so far.

Comment

Originally posted by JRB868 View Post
          I started the Keto deal with my wife just for support for her as she wanted to drop 10-15 pounds. She has bailed on it, but I'm in my 9th week and I'm down 18 lbs. I don't call it a diet or anything like that. I don't count calories (I've always failed in the long run doing that), I just eat, natural fat, protein and leafy greens/other veggies but no potatoes, rice or processed carbs. I do still drink beer but I keep my carbs under 50ish a day. I've found keto brownies, pancakes and other substitutes for cravings. It's been a lifestyle change and my gut has thanked me. I make sure I get a vitamin supplement and plenty of potassium, sodium and water. My eating habits prior to Keto was more harmful than any of the side effects from Keto.

I workout 5-6 days a week; uscrossfit.com, running, road bike and obstacle type stuff. I don't have any problems with energy during any workouts, even ones lasting several hours. I worked out the same before I changed my eating habits, but never saw the change of actually burning FAT not glucose for fuel. The fat is melting and definition has begun. I feel great and plan on not going back to processed carbs.

Just my experience so far.
          Keto brownies and pancakes

Well spill the beans!! How are these made and/or where can they be purchased!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Keto brownies and pancakes

Well spill the beans!! How are these made and/or where can they be purchased!!
            Most use almond or coconut flour. Not as good as the old stuff but helps with the cravings.

Google is great for recipes.

This site has a lot too.

Comment

Go to :Elanaskitchen.com, she has quite few recipes for various diets like keto, paleo etc., she's not the only one but all her recipes I've tried have been at worst tolerable but most are pretty good.

Comment

just found this and following

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  If the diet works for you, then great. If it doesn't... just move on. I do the Keto coffee because I rarely eat breakfast at all, and it is a good way to get my calorie and fat intake up, curbs my hunger until 2-3pm and works for me.

I would love to see where people got a lot of their clinical training as well. Do y'all have any?

I am inclined to question the USDA nutrition recommendations with all the about faces they have had recently regarding many of the long term food recommendations. Regardless, for MANY people... breaking the glucose/insulin dependency has a dramatic positive effect on their health.

Married to an RD/LD and dated her throughout her dietetics program.

While there has been a lot of truth said here, there has also been some faulty reasoning shared.

Here are a few things my wife bases her practice on...

1. An eating plan that cannot be maintained for the long term is counterproductive. Only in unique situations (such as w/ the morbidly obese) does she recommend an aggressive "diet".

2. Processed foods are some of the greatest contributors to the health risks we will face over the next several decades.

3. Managing portion size is one of the best ways to lose weight.

4. Losing weight at the expense of overall health is also counter productive.

5. Some search for a quick fix and others search for long term success. This is true with health and this is true in personal finances. Unfortunately, short term gains and long term gains are, in most situations, mutually exclusive.

Comment

I get most of my recipes from Pinterest, great place for some good food. Don't get me wrong, it's not the real thing but it takes care of the cravings and are surprisingly good.

Comment

While there has been a lot of truth said here, there has also been some faulty reasoning shared.

1. An eating plan that cannot be maintained for the long term is counterproductive. Only in unique situations (such as w/ the morbidly obese) does she recommend an aggressive "diet".

2. Processed foods are some of the greatest contributors to the health risks we will face over the next several decades.

5. Some search for a quick fix and others search for long term success. This is true with health and this is true in personal finances. Unfortunately, short term gains and long term gains are, in most situations, mutually exclusive.

1. I completely agree with this. But, I am loving this plan. I have had no problem maintaining it since the beginning of this thread.

2. Once again... COMPLETELY agree with this.

3. Portion size didn't work for me. It left me hungry, cranky, and reduced my adherence.

4. Agree. That is why I am religiously taking multivitamins, maintaining hydration, increasing sodium magnesium and potassium intake, and being routinely monitored by our primary DO.

5. I am looking at this as a permanent change unless my health shows any decline. I feel so much better on this diet overall, I have little to no hunger (typically it is thirsty if I ever do feel it), and I have completely eradicated my blood sugar crashes.

I completely agree that if looked at as a couple month diet, nothing will work. Also, I think judging any diet by how the most vocal users of it tends to give every diet a bad rap.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        1. I completely agree with this. But, I am loving this plan. I have had no problem maintaining it since the beginning of this thread.

2. Once again... COMPLETELY agree with this.

3. Portion size didn't work for me. It left me hungry, cranky, and reduced my adherence.

4. Agree. That is why I am religiously taking multivitamins, maintaining hydration, increasing sodium magnesium and potassium intake, and being routinely monitored by our primary DO.

5. I am looking at this as a permanent change unless my health shows any decline. I feel so much better on this diet overall, I have little to no hunger (typically it is thirsty if I ever do feel it), and I have completely eradicated my blood sugar crashes.

I completely agree that if looked at as a couple month diet, nothing will work. Also, I think judging any diet by how the most vocal users of it tends to give every diet a bad rap.

Well, not speaking on the diet specifically but I think your mind is in the right place. Good luck to you brother!

Comment

Not sure the point you're trying to make, not really relevant here and that's all pretty obvious good standard eating behavior. Nothing about a good Keto diet violates any of these points so, uhhh, good talk??? lol

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
                            I fast from 6pm until 10am.

At 10am I have a couple cups of coffee with cream or 1/2 & 1/2 and liquid splenda.

At about 11:30 I have my full keto lunch & a small low carb desert for my sweet tooth

At about 3:30 I have a small keto snack. Chesse, deli meat, almonds, etc
                            At about 5:30 I have dinner. Grilled pork chops, chicken fajitas, t-bone, etc
                            Interesting... I never considered not eating between Dinner and Breakfast as formal fasting. I guess I fast every day for at least 12 hours.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                              Interesting... I never considered not eating between Dinner and Breakfast as formal fasting. I guess I fast every day for at least 12 hours.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Your body typically won't start transitioning into ketosis until 12 hours an empty stomach. A 12 hour fast doesn't actually do anything. A 16 hour fast does though. I especially like doing a workout at hour 15 if I am intermittent fasting, burns Almost purely fat at that point.

Comment

Keto

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                Been on and off them for many years, always feel great good smooth consistent energy throughout the day.

- pretty sure this is not in line with #1 on my list

Biggest problem people have is little cheats here and there, don't account for stupid things like ketchup on a burger patty, etc... You can't have ANY of that, you get enough residual carbs just with green veggies and any more on top you'll just feel like poo all the time. If you need sweetener, get the liquid sucralose or liquid stevia, anything in the packets that says 0 carbs can be up to 1 carb... you see maltodextrin and stuff like that as an ingredient then throw it back on the shelf.

- If you prefer "chlorinated sugar", then sucralose is for you! p.s. the FDA considers sucralose a processed food.

- Per your "fasting" to cut weight in a hurry...See # 4 on my list

If I'm in a hurry I'll combine it with intermittent fasting.

So...what was that you were saying about the Keto diet not violating any of the 5 principles I mentioned?

Hmmm...good talk.
                                Last edited by Buckley99; 06-07-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X