Question for a Mechanic – ATV Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for a Mechanic – ATV Related

I have an older ATV, which has a Kawasaki liquid-cooled engine. I am doing some overdue maintenance on the bike and one of the items I am addressing is changing the coolant. I flushed the system and added new coolant. The specs call for 3 quarts, but I was only able to add around 2 quarts of coolant. I am guessing that when I was flushing the system, the thermostat never opened, so the remainder of coolant (the other qt.) never left the motor. Does this sound logical?

Prior adding new coolant, I pulled the thermostat and tested it on the stove. It seems to open/close just fine. (replacements thermostat is like $60, based on my limited research, so I didn’t want to buy a new if not needed.) After testing and replacing the thermostat, and after adding fresh coolant, I let the bike idle for 15-20 min without the rad cap. I then rode it around for 5 - 10 minutes (with rad cap, of course). Once parked, I pulled the rad cap off and let it idle for a few minutes. While the rad cap was off, I keep looking at the coolant level waiting for it to drop. But that never happened. In my limited research, it sounds like once the thermostat opened, I should have seen a drop in coolant level. Keep in mind, there is not a reservoir bottle/tank on this bike so when viewing the level of fluid, you are looking directly into the neck of the fill port and into the radiator.

Near the end of all of this, I stuck my finger in the neck/fill port and noticed that the coolant temp was warming up. After a few minutes, it was warmer. Is this a sign that the thermostat opened? If the thermostat never opened, the coolant in the radiator would not be warm, right? The coolant would only be warm if it came from the engine, correct?

Sorry for being long winded. Please let me know your thought.

Side note – during all of this, I never heard the fan come on. I will check on that to make sure it is working. But the fan turning on and the opening of the thermostat are independent of each other, right? I know they both are related in that they cool the bike, but they do not interact and work off each other, correct?

What model is it?

Comment

The bike is an 2002 arctic cat 400.

Comment

I don't know for sure but it may have a bleeder screw on the cooling pipes. You will have to raise the front of the bike to bleed it while you poor coolant in the radiator. Sounds like you have air in the system. If the coolant hasn't warmed up to a certain temp the fan is not going to come on. You can jump the fan switch to check for function.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
          I don't know for sure but it may have a bleeder screw on the cooling pipes. You will have to raise the front of the bike to bleed it while you poor coolant in the radiator. Sounds like you have air in the system. If the coolant hasn't warmed up to a certain temp the fan is not going to come on. You can jump the fan switch to check for function.
          Yeah, I read that. No bleeder screw that I know of. The bike was in an incline all this time, so I thought it wouldn't be an issue. I will raise it and run it for a while.

So, if the coolant in the radiator was warm (and get warmer along the way), is that an indication that the termostat opened?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Possibly an air bubble in the system?

Comment

Working...
              X