Season is only two weeks away- Rate my setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off I want to thank everyone of you who has commented on my previous posts. Has made the learning curve much less steep.

Here is what I’m working with currently :

48- 49# ( guesstimated ) Hoyt satori w/ tradtech 2.0 carbon limbs.

Chrono’d it today and I’m launching a 490 grain arrow ( with a 100 grain collar and 125 grain single bevel kudu point ) at 152 FPS.

My stands are set up to offer me shots anywhere from 12-22 yards.

Does anyone see anything wrong with my setup? Assuming I do my part and place the arrow in the lungs, can anyone see any potential problems that may arise after my fingers leave the string?

There is nothing wrong with the setup as long as it is tuned well. I would suggest keeping your shots way closer to the 12yd end than the 22yd end. Hand corn is your friend!!!!! I shot 14 deer last year and not a one was over 15yds.

IMHO, when you start stretching out your shots (esp if you are new to the trad hunting game), the chances for bad things to happen go up exponentially as the distance increases.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      There is nothing wrong with the setup as long as it is tuned well. I would suggest keeping your shots way closer to the 12yd end than the 22yd end. Hand corn is your friend!!!!! I shot 14 deer last year and not a one was over 15yds.

IMHO, when you start stretching out your shots (esp if you are new to the trad hunting game), the chances for bad things to happen go up exponentially as the distance increases.

Bisch

I plan on my shots being closer to the 12 as well. Even with my compound my ideal distance is 17 yards even though I can shoot much, much farther.

The deer on my property are pretty gentle by whitetail comparison and with corn I can put them where I want them in most cases.

I practice mostly at 17 yards and am very comfortable at that range, but closer would be better

Comment

The difference in speed between that compound and your trad bow is a lot different in how much time the deer has to move as well. Closing that distance helps mitigate some of that disadvantage.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bisch

Definitely listen to this guy! He knows the trad game and I was fortunate enough to get my first trad kill on a Kansas hunt with him. He’ll even skin your deer if you nearly cut your thumb off in the skinning process!

Comment

Bisch

It can’t be said any better than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

getting arrows reflected as we speak.

Shot this morning at 20 yards and was drilling the target.

I'm thinking 12-15 yards is the sweet spot for launching one at a deer or pig.

I can't wait until Opening Weekend!

Comment

Good luck! We can’t wait to see your trad LDP’s!!!!

Bisch

Comment

I personally feel like 20 yards is a long way on a whitetail. It’s done all the time and 20 yard shots are within most shooters abilities. They just react so fast. A deer feeding with his/her head down can drop hard and fast. I find spikes to be the fastest reacting followed by does then mature bucks. In my experience, the best piece of advice I could give is the following…. Let autopilot take over, if the animal is in the right spot it will happen before you know
                  It. If you force the shot it will end bad. To be completely honest, 95% of my harvest have been from 8-12 yards.

Good luck

Comment

As has been mentioned: Whitetail have an extremely quick reaction time.

Some studies have shown, that a whitetail can drop 12", turn 90 degrees, and be at a full speed run in 21/100 of a second.

Yeah, you might be able to accurately make those longer shots, but the target may not be there when the arrow gets there. Use your best judgement given the circumstances at the time.

My favorite distance is 15 yards. Just seems to always work out real good there.

````````````````````

As far as rating your setup is concerned:

I knew a feller who killed a big whitetail doe at 8 yards with a TG&Y purchased bean shooter (some folks call em sling shots), and a 600gr 2413 aluminum arrow tipped with a Zephyr Sasquatch (2" wide cut on contact) broadhead.

The arrow went through, and hung by the fletching on the exit side for a bit before it eventually fell out during the run.

Double lung, and dirt nap in about 50 yards.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you got plenty.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X