250 or 300 spine for Nilgai setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

250 or 300 spine for Nilgai setup?

wanted to get y'alls opinions on this as it seems most spine charts are pretty useless once you get outside of the standard low 400 grain arrow setup. It even varies from one manufacturer to another on what they recommend for the same setup. I've been shooting Maxima Red 350s at around 500 grains. They claim those are good up to 90 lb draw but they seem underspined to me. I can see a lot of movement in flight.

I'm putting together some arrows for Nilgai hunt and want to be in that 540-550 grain range w approx 15% FOC. This setup ranges from 14-16% depending on how I tweak it.

70 lb Elite option 7 bow (330ish IBO)
    100 grain broadheads(Iron Wills as I already have these in 100gr otherwise I'd go w heavier heads)
    125ish grain inserts
    9.7gpi shafts(250 spine BE Carnivores have been ordered but considering a change as I can still send them back and get something else. I got them mainly bc I already had .245" inserts/nocks etc but not opposed to changing it up)
    28.25" carbon to carbon
    lighted nocks, wrap, 3x 2" blazer vanes on the back end.

So my question is are the Carnivore 250s the correct spine I should be using or would 300 be better? Also are the Carnivores ok or should I consider a smaller diameter arrow with outserts? After ordering them I've read the Carnivores may not be the most durable shaft out there.

Thanks.

I shoot 70 lbs and 300 spine 450 ish grain arrow.29 inch draw but I cut my arrows 27.25 c to c I have some 250 spine that weight 550. I've had better luck tuning stiff arrows vs weak arrows. If you aren't in a hurry get a couple 300 and a couple 250 and build them out. See which tunes better.

Comment

I would have went with the Spartan. Much more durable arrow

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
        I would have went with the Spartan. Much more durable arrow
        thanks I was actually looking at those today and thinking of going ahead and ordering them instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
          I shoot 70 lbs and 300 spine 450 ish grain arrow.29 inch draw but I cut my arrows 27.25 c to c I have some 250 spine that weight 550. I've had better luck tuning stiff arrows vs weak arrows. If you aren't in a hurry get a couple 300 and a couple 250 and build them out. See which tunes better.
          thanks. I may give that a try. I do have a couple of months to get ready.

Comment

I have been using the black eagle carnivore 250 shafts at 29” with 100 grain brass inserts and 125 grain broadhead. The total arrow is like 554 grains I believe.
            I’m shooting mathews vxr 31.5 at 75lbs and chrono’d at 270,271,271.

I have had pass throughs on everything I have shot including a big cow elk at 40 yards.

I have not noticed any issues with arrow durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You are probably going to have to shoot them to find out. I agree that a little stiff is better than a little weak.

I'm shooting a reign 6 at 73#s and 29" draw. 100 grain inserts and 100 grain broadhead. I had to go to a 250 spine GT to get a perfect tune.

Comment

Nilgai hunting. I have been several times, no luck.

Carnivore arrows are good for spec, not so good for structural integrity. I still shoot them, but I don't care if I break them. If that is the arrow you have I would not think twice, I would go hunting with them.

Spine, as long as not under spine that causes flight issue, spine is not as critical as we want to make it out. if you have 250 spine, then hunt with them. they will tune great.

Comment

Working...
                X