Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing for family; James Daughtrey Wma

With all the knowledge within TBH -

Any suggestions on family friendly lodging near James Daughtrey?

My family situation is a little involved at the moment being we’ve got a 4yr old and 4 month old identical twins…..so this would be the year I luck into a draw like JD e-postcard archery (Nov1-19). I hit the wife with the “any interest in staying on a south Tx ranch for a week and seeing some new country?” Her response was… “what did you do?” Lol.

To my surprise, she’s game. So what was a free hunt now will hit the wallet a bit, but grateful she’s game and we’ll get to spend some family time too. That said, most of the local lodging looks like oil field camps.

Any suggestions for a safe and more private option for the family? Any info appreciated. Dm’s or post here appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That area is pretty remote. There are shed type cabins for the oilfield workers or hotels in Tilden or Three Rivers. Not sure what’s available in Whitsett, but George West seemed a little more lively when I went through two weekends ago. Maybe an odd AirBNB is available? Or a house for rent via VRBO?

Comment

The cabins at the state park were pretty nice the last time we stayed in them. There is no kitchen so you would have to bring stuff, or eat out. Shower facilities and bathrooms are clean.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
        That area is pretty remote. There are shed type cabins for the oilfield workers or hotels in Tilden or Three Rivers. Not sure what’s available in Whitsett, but George West seemed a little more lively when I went through two weekends ago. Maybe an odd AirBNB is available? Or a house for rent via VRBO?

Thanks for the reply. I’ve looked through the Airbnb and Vrbo options. Either too small, too far out or don’t allow dogs (two trained duck dogs will also be with us). Have a lead on an outfitter out of GW that has some housing but it’s 30 mins from the south end of the wma. That’s our best option as of now. Was hoping someone here might have a info on something similar or closer. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by jchollett View Post
          The cabins at the state park were pretty nice the last time we stayed in them. There is no kitchen so you would have to bring stuff, or eat out. Shower facilities and bathrooms are clean.

I would stay in the cabins for sure if I was solo. Single room, no kitchen, no connected bathroom, and no dogs kills it for the family trip though. Thanks for chiming in though cause the two other guys on my permit will be crashing at the park. I’ll also probably return after the family trip and use the park if it’s available. Again, thanks!

Comment

What’s your camping gear situation? Could you spend the money you would’ve spent on hotel/vrbo on a few glamping items to make your wife’s life easier and camp instead?

Comment

Maybe consider renting a RV?

Comment

The cabins in Calliham State Park.

I stayed in one during the Daughtery management hunt a few years ago.

There's not really a way around it, at Daughtrey you're going to be doing some driving.

Comment

Kickin bass cabins are really nice. Be kind of small for a family but they were clean.

Pretty sure the owner of Kickin Bass has access to some rental apartments in Tilden that might be an option. May want to give her a shout….she may know some other options as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X