Powderhorn WMA draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powderhorn WMA draw hunt

I was drawn for Powderhorn WMA Nov 2-4. Has anyone ever been there?They show having Sambar deer, whitetails and axis. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. Are Sambar any good to eat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My neighbor shot a big Sambar there last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just pass on the hunt lol. But that’s awesome you got drawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope you went and bought a bunch of lottery tickets after work today.

Comment

I hunted there last year and killed a very nice Sambar bull. They will assign you a compartment and give you the boundaries of that compartment. Be prepared to hunt the entire compartment and not just the box stand. What I found to work best was to quietly walk around and check all of the marshy areas in my compartment. The sambar love to have their feet wet. Use some sort of digital map e scouting for your compartment so you can see where the marshy areas are and the easiest way to get to them. I saw a large number hunting this method. Hunt all day and don't give up. They are a lot of animals there. The staff that runs the hunt are first class and truly want the hunters to have success. Talk with them and they will hook you up the best they can. If you aren't seeing anything or just want a change of scenery, tell them and they will move you. They will also come and get your Sambar for you so you don't have to pack it out! This is a primo hunt. Enjoy every second of it. The Powderhorn Ranch is an amazing place. We stayed at the Poco Loco Lodge in Port O. It worked great for us and has a free ice machine to keep your meat iced down if you kill early in the hunt like I did. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by geauxgary View Post
            I hunted there last year and killed a very nice Sambar bull. They will assign you a compartment and give you the boundaries of that compartment. Be prepared to hunt the entire compartment and not just the box stand. What I found to work best was to quietly walk around and check all of the marshy areas in my compartment. The sambar love to have their feet wet. Use some sort of digital map e scouting for your compartment so you can see where the marshy areas are and the easiest way to get to them. I saw a large number hunting this method. Hunt all day and don't give up. They are a lot of animals there. The staff that runs the hunt are first class and truly want the hunters to have success. Talk with them and they will hook you up the best they can. If you aren't seeing anything or just want a change of scenery, tell them and they will move you. They will also come and get your Sambar for you so you don't have to pack it out! This is a primo hunt. Enjoy every second of it. The Powderhorn Ranch is an amazing place. We stayed at the Poco Loco Lodge in Port O. It worked great for us and has a free ice machine to keep your meat iced down if you kill early in the hunt like I did. Good luck!
            With the rain we've had down there this year, whole place might be "marshy"

Dang lucky draw. Enjoy !!

Comment

Best draw hunt I’ve ever been on. Great hosts most everyone got their sambar. Axis are limited. Take multiple sharp knives they are a booger to skin. Mine was almost 380#gutted. Some of the best meat I’ve ever eaten.

Comment

How many points did you have for this years draw?
                congrats and good luck

Comment

Working...
                X