Changes as I go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes as I go

I started out with the recurve. I've got a couple of really nice ones still. But I've gotten where I just like a longbow better. I like the feel of the draw, the feel of the bow on release better. I tend to shoot the recurve a little better at longer ranges. 20 and over. And I know I lose a little speed on arrows with limbs of equal draw weight. I'm not sure if that will change over time or if it even matters.
    Randy built those longbow limbs for me and I've shot nothing since. In all fairness my shooting has been quite limited but those limbs, and the two piece longbow he built me, just feel so good to shoot and are so much quieter to me.
    Do most of the long time shooters here find that their preferences change over time, maybe back and forth or . . . ?

I started out with a recurve, went to, and stayed with a longbow for quite a long time, then went back to a recurve.

I doubt I will ever seriously go back to a longbow (even though I enjoy shooting them), because I am solely after stickbow performance, and want all I can get out of them.

I'm way past the bow being anything other than just a tool I use, and I want my tools to work the best they can for me.

Rick

Comment

That is a great point.

Comment

I would NOT call myself a "long time shooter". Nobody else has chimed in, so here I go.....

I've had a Bob Lee recurve since the late 90's, but never shot much until Covid started. Then bought a 2nd BL recurve and got BUSY.

I have my eye on a Long bow, but have not made up my mind. I've tried ILF. but it does not seem to have a soul, so that's going on the market soon.

I know what I don't like, but have not gotten to a teetering point on multiple "likes".

Comment

I’ve been a longbow guy pretty much exclusively since before 2009. That being said, I only hunted with my recurve all last deer season, and was very successful with it. Im back to a longbow now, and that’s what I’ll be starting out this season with.

Whichever bow I’m hunting with is the only one I practice with. The others just get pulled out so I can shoot more rounds at 3D shoots.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just like to watch arrows fly I guess. I sold a bow not too long ago, but still have more than I need and a new one on the way. If it’ll project and arrow I’m in love.[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can’t wait for by Sarrels longbow. I’ve shot several over the years and I’m looking forward to having a nice longbow for hunting and 3D. I agree, some special about a longbow. I really love my recurves too.

Comment

Ok. Question from someone that has never shot a recurve or longbow. Is one used for longer distances, speed, power etc? What’s the learning curve to become proficient enough to make a good solid kill shot on animals? Really don’t know what questions to ask or what to look for in a recurve.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  Ok. Question from someone that has never shot a recurve or longbow. Is one used for longer distances, speed, power etc? What’s the learning curve to become proficient enough to make a good solid kill shot on animals? Really don’t know what questions to ask or what to look for in a recurve.
                  As for speed, very generally speaking recurves are normally a tad faster but there's a lot of other factors. Longer distances doesn't really come into play in trad. It's all about keeping it close (most guys want animals under 15 yards). The learning curve varies a lot by person, but it takes an incredible amount of practice to get proficient and stay proficient...but it's fun!! A lot of people recommend a Samick Sage (in a light weight) as a starter bow and they're great for the money. It's what I started with and I still have mine. Lots of good deals on used bows to be had too. Just start light and get someone to help you pick your arrows....if your arrows aren't spined right it's gonna make it almost impossible to get any sort of accuracy..

Comment

Working...
                  X