Not good for Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not good for Academy

Academy violated the law by selling an AR-15-style rifle and large-capacity magazine to the man who killed more than two dozen worshippers at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, federal...

Nope not good. Whoever did the paperwork on that rifle is in for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
      Nope not good. Whoever did the paperwork on that rifle is in for it.
      Yep. Looks like that guy is losing his $9.00 per hour job.

Comment

"Prosecutors said federal law requires Academy to comply with Colorado statutes that would have prohibited the sale."

I get that Academy corporate should provide guidance to the stores but how does someone working behind the counter know that selling that gun violates Colorado law? Also, a manager had to sign off on the deal so multiple levels appeared to have failed.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
          "Prosecutors said federal law requires Academy to comply with Colorado statutes that would have prohibited the sale."

I get that Academy corporate should provide guidance to the stores but how does someone working behind the counter know that selling that gun violates Colorado law? Also, a manager had to sign off on the deal so multiple levels appeared to have failed.
          We had a book with all the state laws to review before selling a long gun to out of state.

I'd assume Academy is the same.

I'm sure the lawyer guy down there will crank up his commercials to help people sue

Comment

This is going to be the fix: If you do not have a resident license from the state you are purchasing, no sale unless they have the state specific gun purchasing permit (LTC/CCL)

It will really hurt the guy that goes on a out of state hunt and his equipment fails, or gets lost.

Comment

But they don't want to go after the air force for improperly filing his domestic violence charges...

Comment

Ouch....tough one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had no idea that is how buying a gun out of state worked.

Comment

The Feds won’t be as interested in the clerk. The real interest will be with Academy. Deep pockets are always more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                      This is going to be the fix: If you do not have a resident license from the state you are purchasing, no sale unless they have the state specific gun purchasing permit (LTC/CCL)

It will really hurt the guy that goes on a out of state hunt and his equipment fails, or gets lost.
                      Yep I hope I never have a customer come in for a hunt and want to purchase a gun for it

Comment

I can't keep up with all the laws from other states, it is a moving target. I only sale/transfer to TX residents.

I was afraid this was going to happen to Academy on this one. Crazy deal for sure. If the rifle were sold with a 10rd mag I think it would have been fine. Then he could have just bought as many 30rd mags as he wanted at the next store.

Comment

Heck, this was news to me...I've never had an out of state 4473. I would have had to ask as I've never even considered it but I'm low volume on local transfers.

For you guys that dealt/deal with it can both pistols & long guns transfer to an out of state as long as the firearm complies with their state laws?? I've had several inspections & surprised that hasn't come up, but then again I'm pretty far from the next state.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Heck, this was news to me...I've never had an out of state 4473. I would have had to ask as I've never even considered it but I'm low volume on local transfers.

For you guys that dealt/deal with it can both pistols & long guns transfer to an out of state as long as the firearm complies with their state laws?? I've had several inspections & surprised that hasn't come up, but then again I'm pretty far from the next state.

Most long guns yes, handguns no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Feds trying to cover their own butt. He passed the NICS because the Feds screwed up in the first place

Comment

Working...
                              X