Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marking off raw land boundaries, advice on plan

Friends,

We're breaking ground next year on 16 acres but in the mean time I think I need to mark my boundary lines. I know this won't keep people off but at least they'll know they're crossing a marked boundary.

It's been surveyed and the corners are set but it is raw land/wooded.

Here's my plan with a couple of questions. Of note, the land is 495' x 1408'. The front 495' side is next to a road and the rest is adjacent to other wooded tracts.

1) Drive t-posts at 4 corners
    2) Run engineer tape down the long sides and across the back with t-posts every 100' and painted "no trespassing" purple. * As an alternate plan, I could just run engineer tape on 1 side at a time and use it as a guide to drive my t-posts.
    3) Place no trespassing signs on the 4 corner posts, a couple on the long sides and a couple across the back.

Questions.
    1) Good brand / source for engineer tape?
    2) Size / brand / type recommendation on t-posts?

This is a short term solution as we break ground in about 5-6 months and I plan on adding fencing later (trying to minimize costs for now).

Thanks!

Joe

I would mark my corners with something not easily removed.. t post is fine if its drove in more than the normal 14 to 16 inches.. purple paint on the trees and a few posted signs.. if you do all that and they still trespass file charges ..

Comment

Purple paint and signs should be enough to keep honest people out.

Comment

I think that plan will work since all you are trying to do is construct a visual barrier until you build a fence. As a cheaper alternative to engineer tape you might consider using bright pink mason's twine. (250' for $5) then tying on small pieces of survey tape every 50 feet or so.

Comment

What does the blue paint represent on timber company trees? Does that have something to do with creek boundaries?

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

I like the idea of using mason's twine but am not sure I'll be able to get a 1495' run with it through the woods. I have to make sure the property line is sound as I have a neighbor to the south and likely will have one to the north sooner or later.

Any advice on t-post size?

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time and money on a temporary "boundary" that's not going to keep anyone out. Are you just looking to mark it to let people know "It's mine"?
              Worry about it when you are ready to build a real fence.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                I wouldn't waste my time and money on a temporary "boundary" that's not going to keep anyone out. Are you just looking to mark it to let people know "It's mine"?
                Worry about it when you are ready to build a real fence.
                I concur.

If you want something temporary, set H braces at your corners and roll through trimming underbrush and low tree limbs on your property, along the property line. Between this and a few signs, you've done about all the "notifying" you need to do for service of your purpose.

Comment

I wouldn’t waste the time or money on temporary stuff. What is the purpose? Honest people are going to stay out. Others won’t no matter that you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                    I concur.

If you want something temporary, set H braces at your corners and roll through trimming underbrush and low tree limbs on your property, along the property line. Between this and a few signs, you've done about all the "notifying" you need to do for service of your purpose.
                    This

Comment

Well, I appreciate the honest feedback. It would be a bit of trouble and money I'd rather save.

I think I'm going to scale down my plan to putting some "no trespassing" signs on the property near the road & putting something in place to clearly mark the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Purple paint and signs should be enough to keep honest people out.
                        I would do this and drive t-post on every property angle or corner so you can build your fence later.

Purple paint carrys the same weight as posted signs in a court of law. I would not run any string or wire in timber without post every 10 or 15 feet; you are asking to get someone/something hurt with string or wire where animals or people can not see it.

Paint has to be so high off the ground, strip has to be so wide and so long and only so many feet apart. Google it.

Comment

What is the urgency? Is trespassing a problem now? Are people using your property as their own? Or is it just sitting there and you need to put your mark on it?

Like said before. Temporary is a waste. If you gotta do something, at least make some real progress towards a fence. Put up the Pipe Corners first, Clear brush for the fence lines, etc

Comment

No trespassing signs do not work. I live at the end of a dead end deeded easement. 1 mile long. Marked at gate entrance. I have had an ice cream truck pull in my drive only to bail as he saw me. Moving truck looking for Buda, Tx????? not sure about this one.

Comment

Make sure you use the right purple paint. Don't just go get purple paint. There is a specific color

Comment

Working...
                              X