I Have Never Seen This Before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Have Never Seen This Before

Last week I was calling coyotes near Alpine, using the Burnham Brothers Black Magic and imitating a bleating fawn. I call deer, especially muleys year round with this call but especially when they have fawns.
    After the first series, I hear rocks rolling and know that I have a muley coming hard. I turn my head 90 degrees to the right to find a doe trotting to me on a string. When she gets about 20 steps away, she circles in front on me and stops 90 degrees to my left about 30 steps away. Facing me, I see her turn her head over her right shoulder as a coyote flashes in about 10 steps behind her. She whirls and the race is on, the doe running the coyote directly away from me. I am estimating that she ran the coyote 200 yards or until she was satisfied that her job was done.
    I got back on the call and the doe came trotting back and stood about 25 steps away, looking at me and the area around her, obviously guarding me. After a couple of minutes, I see the coyote re-appear about 75 yards away from the direction she had run him.
    The doe sees him as well, staring at him and stamping her feet. After about 30 seconds, the coyote turns and trots away. I have called deer and coyotes on the same stand many times but have never had a deer stand by me, obviously guarding me from a predator.
    The doe stayed there until I got up to leave and then, calmly turned and walked away.
    Adios,
    Gary

That is pretty cool I hope you got it on video

Comment

Another cool outdoor experience Gary!

I had a similar experience at the H back in 2012. Watched a doe tease and fallow a momma B-cat and her 3 kits till they were gone. Then the doe walked back to where she came from.

Comment

Would like to have seen that moment

Comment

That would have been fun. I saw a young looking cat come out into a food plot once when three does were feeding there. The young doe and her fawn got nervous and began prancing and looking, but as soon as the older doe saw that cat she put it in high gear. It didn’t take young Robert long to vacate !

Comment

Had a doe chase a bobcat away several years ago, I was sitting in a brush pile bowhunting deer, saw a bobcat cross a row several hundred yards away, thinking I might get a cat with my bow I dug into my backpack got my Burnham bros. long range call to give it a try. Well the cat came but so did two does, they all came into the row about 50 yards from my set-up. One of the does back her ears and charged the cat and chased him a good ways into the brush, when she came back her and the other doe walked back the way they came. Pretty neat hunt, wished I'd had some way to video all of it.

Comment

We did get some of it on video and it will be on CARNIVORE. Now for the rest of the story....
              I told Brian and Steve that the coyote never saw us nor did he ever get a whiff of our scent, merely trotted off. I suggested that we walk back to the pickup and go down the road and see if we could call the coyote away from the doe.
              I found a low ridge about a half mile away that had a little more cover on it than I liked but all I had. After the second series, I hear rocks rolling about 2:00 o'clock and turn to see the coyote swapping ends at about 12 steps. I did take a shot at the coyote when he appeared about 200 yards out but missed as he stepped into the brush.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Those are the kind of moments we live for and learn from. Pretty cool.

Comment

That’s way to cool!

Comment

Its amazing the things we see out in the woods.

Comment

What a cool experience. Looking forward to the show.

Comment

That’s wild. I was in a makeshift brush blind and a doe under the feeder start stomping and snorting. It looked like she was staring right at me, then I heard a something jump right behind me. It was a coyote that had been sneaking in behind me and the doe had him. He must’ve been within 10 feet of me, but by the time I spun around and drew my bow he was in too much brush to get a shot off.

Comment

I have had several experiences like that. When the coyote does not want to commit I put on a puppy distress sound and then I just get ready. Shortly the coyotes comes to help his "friend" out and game over.

Comment

Man, what an experience.

Comment

Thats a really cool experience!

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X