Dementia, book recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dementia, book recommendations?

My wife's grandmother's dementia is getting worse. Looking for recommendations for any books about dealing with/ working with people with dementia that have helped TBH'ers that have gone through this before.
    Last night she did not recognize her husband of 63 years but new my wife's mother ( her daughter) as soon as she walked in the room. Having trouble getting her to take her medications as well. Thanks for any help in advance.
    Eagles405

Have you checked out the resources from the Alzheimer's Association?

Comment

Prayers up for yall. I remember like yesterday when my grandma was going through dementia. Very tough to watch someone you love and look up too forget who you are.

Comment

I’m 31, my wife is 28, and my father in law is 66. He just retired in October, and was in the beginning stages of dementia. Unfortunately it’s been progressing lately, and he refuses to accept it. He’s worked his butt off to enjoy a great life after retirement, and that doesn’t seem to be what is in store for him. It’s really sad, and taking a toll on my wife. My mother in law refuses to accept it as well, and gets angry when we try to talk to her about it.

Comment

Very sorry y'all are going through this. It's hard. I recommend reaching out to your local Alzheimer's Association. They are a great place to start. www.alz.org

Comment

Man, dementia is tough on everyone involved. My FIL has been going through this for the last 6 or 7 years. Lots of online resources. I'm not a book guy so I can't point you in any specific direction or to any specific book. Prayers for your family.

Comment

Don’t have any book recommendations but I can tell you from first hand experience, mother went thru dementia about 6 years ago. It is a horrible, cruel disease, there will be good days and bad days. It took me a long time to learn this, I have a friend that went thru it with her mom and dad. She taught me to not argue with them, don’t try to correct them, just go along with what they say, try to re-direct them. There were days when my mom thought I was her sister or her mother, I just agreed with her. And getting mad does no good either. You just have to be patient with them and continue to love them, remember it’s not their fault. Hope this helps a little. God bless you! I miss my mom everyday!

Comment

My Grandfather went through this for about 2 years before he passed last November. It is a horrible, cruel disease like said above.
                We made him a scrap book, each page had recent pictures of his family members with names above them and how they were related to him. It seemed to help him know who everyone was when we visited him. Please remember, be patient. There will be very bad days and there will be some good days. I will be praying for your family.

Comment

Bad stuff for sure ! prayers for the family.

Comment

One thing we learned early on with my mom is that much of it comes down to meds. During the first year she was moody. She got sick and puked at the slightest amount of stress. Any little change from the norm stressed her out.

We took her to a neurologist who wanted to try some different meds. That was a total game changer. All of those mood related and physical issues went away completely. She was back to her old self personality wise. The disease still sucked horribly, but having the right meds made it far less painful.

Comment

Originally posted by eagles405 View Post
                      My wife's grandmother's dementia is getting worse. Looking for recommendations for any books about dealing with/ working with people with dementia that have helped TBH'ers that have gone through this before.
                      Last night she did not recognize her husband of 63 years but new my wife's mother ( her daughter) as soon as she walked in the room. Having trouble getting her to take her medications as well. Thanks for any help in advance.
                      Eagles405
                      There is tons of information online. Remember, it's not their fault. You have to treat them like little kids. Whatever you do, don't make it hostile, they will fight youto the end.

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
                      One thing we learned early on with my mom is that much of it comes down to meds. During the first year she was moody. She got sick and puked at the slightest amount of stress. Any little change from the norm stressed her out.

We took her to a neurologist who wanted to try some different meds. That was a total game changer. All of those mood related and physical issues went away completely. She was back to her old self personality wise. The disease still sucked horribly, but having the right meds made it far less painful.

I was going to recommend seeing a neurologist. I learned more from my moms than any book or class I went to.

There are some great meds to talk to the neurologist about. Convince you inlaws to see one soon, the sooner the meds can get started the more help they do. Namenda and Aricept were great for my mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
                        Have you checked out the resources from the Alzheimer's Association?
                        X2

I work in the industry and although there’s plenty of books and internet sites with resources there is no simple answer. Each person with dementia progresses differently and what works today may not work tomorrow. The good thing is you’re getting ahead of it and starting to gather information now. Many families I deal with wait until it’s too late and end up causing themselves much more stress than needed.

The Alzheimer’s Association is a great start and many local chapters have dementia support groups that meet monthly.

If you have questions please feel free to reach out.

Comment

No help on a book, but prayers up for y'all. My grandma had it bad, and my grandfather has had it for about 10 years. His was slowed down by medication, but the past two years have been really rough. It really sucks seeing what the alzheimers/dementia has done to a man that could do anything when I was growing up.

Comment

My buddies dad in law has early stages of it.
                            His mom had it.
                            He said he read a book called The 36hr Day. Said it helped him understand the person better.

Here's a link to it on Amazon

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 06-20-2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

We are going through it with my Mom right now. I wish there was a cure. The meds help some folks but you really keep an eye on your loved one for extreme changes in behavior. The Aricept made it much, much worse. She became almost comatose and would hallucinate badly. We finally convinced the doctor that the Aricept was making her worse and he grudgingly took her off of it. She got much better immediately!! Unfortunately, the disease progresses and the memory loss, confusion, anger, hostility, and suspicion that go with it are all too real. No one knows your loved one like you do and you have to be their advocate. As was stated above, what works today might now work tomorrow. I pray that our Lord gives you and your family strength in the days ahead. It is not an easy road.

Comment

Working...
                              X