Serious Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Question

Do any of you ever think to yourself "what is this life for"? I mean, we get up every day, we go to work, we get to the weekend, enjoy a couple of days off, then turn around and do it all again.

I believe in God, but I don't really have "faith".

I love my family, but I'm divorced and don't have kids.

I love to hunt, but deer season is 4 months long.

I don't mind travelling, but I hate airplanes.

I'm 45 and dealing with a lot of pressure in a job I've done for 22 years very successfully. For the first time in my career, I don't see me doing what I'm doing 5 years from now.

Before you go worrying, I'm nowhere in the hemisphere of doing anything stupid. I do love being alive and living life. I guess I'm in one of those lulls that I'll eventually make my way out of. Just wondering if anyone else deals with these kind of thoughts, and what you do to clear your mind and re-focus. The past 3 years have been particularly difficult between losing a friend to suicide, seeing my best friend lose his mom, dad, and nephew in a car accident, a close friend having a stroke, and topping it off by going through a divorce. Now the thought of beginning a new career in my mid 40's has crept into the picture. I guess I've kinda lost sight of all of the things that used to really bring joy to my life, and what better place to be reminded than right here?
    Last edited by ACCURACYINC; 02-19-2020, 10:55 AM. Reason: ...

You Sir need a corvette and a fine young girlfriend.

Comment

Yes think about this all the time. I wonder what life would be like if money didn’t exist. Our life all revolves around money like it or not. We all work to make money, so that we can enjoy life. There are plenty enjoyable things in life that don’t require money, but most memorable experiences do unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

you need someone to share your life with. We are not meant to live life alone.

Comment

Serious Question

Skunk rut is on so there’s that!!!

Schedule some exotic hunts.
          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bruh get to swipin get some booty

Comment

Jason, I am sure you will get a lot of good feedback to this post, but from my experience, you are going through pretty much what everyone goes through at some point in life, some, many even go through this "funk" multiple times... You identified to me your basis for understanding in your second paragraph... The God you say you believe in made us, all of us to have an innate desire to seek Him. He created us to worship Him and to have fellowship with him. We all spend a portion of our lives seeking something without knowing exactly what it is we are seeking. Pretty much everyone sooner or later finds out whatever it is they have "found" is not "it" so we are off looking around again. Our peace in our heart does not come from hobbies, jobs, material things, or even earthly relationships to a point. I make the assumption that since you say you believe in God, you also likely believe in Satan and Hell... To give you a bit of perspective, Satan also believes in God. He has just chosen not to follow Him, but to try to overthrow Him and replace that innate desire in all of us to seek God. Satan's desire is to use the world to deceive us into seeking him rather than God... To me, it is a good thing that you are questioning where you are now and expressing a desire to find "it"... I'd encourage you to start reading the Bible and to seek out Christians and befriend them, ones that you can talk to, ones that you see and know that you feel like what they have, you'd want that too... It is a slow process but a safe process to seek God, but I can guarantee you that if you do commit to seeking Him, he will be there for you to find and you will gain satisfaction in life by realizing what you were created for and how to use the gifts that God gave you... It's sort of the old follow your dreams thing, only search yourself and ask yourself, "what am I good at?" If you're good a more than one thing, pick one and go do it... That'd be a good start.

Comment

^^^^^^^^ yup ^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

get engaged in your local Church, attend small groups, then find a wife to start sharing your life with.

Comment

Learn to fish!

Comment

We all get in funks like that, it’s a rollercoaster ride. Going to church always helps me to feel better although I don’t go enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

While believing in your God is great, that is not the issue.

Your job is clearly the issue. Don't worry, we dont think you're depressed or anything like that. You're just working a job that's is doing more harm than good. Quit it and do what YOU want to do.

Everyone needs a passion project, something they truly love and care about. I'm not a fly guy, but this is just an example. Say you truly love fly fishing and all you wanna do is make lures. I guarantee if you put your passion into it, you can make a dollar here and there and live the life you want to. Whatever it is, no matter how simple, you're good at something. You just need to take the next few weeks to see what makes you happy on the weekends, quit your job, and start doing it full time. Doesnt have to be overnight, but sounds like it needs to be done.

I love my business so much, I hate the weekends. That's how it should be. You can do it, anyone can. Dont get caught up in thought that you cant.

Comment

"You're middle aged crazy, trying to prove you still can..." according to Jerry Lee Lewis.

Go find you a 28 to 32 year old girlfriend and enjoy the blessings you have and not focus on what you don't have, life's too short!

Comment

buddy, I am 35 years old with a 3 yr old and I sit here and ask myself the exact same questions everyday I am at work. I am trying to find out what I am supposed to do in my life and what will make me enjoy going to work but I have not found that yet. I want to start my own business but not sure what kind or how to get that exactly rolling. I wont give up on the faith and I will keep pushing on and eventually find my nitch. I bet there are lots of people out there with the same though process as you and I but they either settle or just don't say anything. embrace any change and look froward to the future and we will all end up fine. Best to you!

Comment

Do any of you ever think to yourself "what is this life for"? I mean, we get up every day, we go to work, we get to the weekend, enjoy a couple of days off, then turn around and do it all again.

Yup!

What helped me was realizing that life sucks and has no purpose, so we have to make choices that make it suck less and to do our best to find a purpose. It sounds depressing and nihilistic but it's actually very liberating.

I also realized that so much of what we are told about life and The American Dream is a complete scam and nothing but a marketing campaign- we are told to give over our entire lives to our job to buy stuff we don't need and provide our families with a life we can't even enjoy because we are always chasing more and worrying about how to pay for it. Everyone loses and is miserable except for the folks making cash off of our work.

Working hard is vital but not to the point that we can't enjoy life, the idea that work is its own reward was made up to benefit our employers, not us.

I am currently in the process of dropping out of that system, paying off my debts I racked up trying to die with the most toys and working hard for the purpose of enjoying life and having enough to be able to be generous to folks who need it.

There are a few books that REALLY helped me get my head straight-

"Minimalism" by Joshua Milburn
                              "The Subtle art of Not Giving a F**K" and "Everything is F**ked" by Mark Manson
                              "So Good they Can't Ignore You" "Deep Work" and "Digital Minimalism" by Cal Newport
                              "Extreme Ownership" by Jocko Willink
                              Every podcast or lecture I can digest by Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson

Or if church is your thing that might help you feel better too... some folks find meaning in that.
                              Last edited by Jspradley; 02-19-2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X