Scope Education Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope Education Needed

So APR is building me a 6.5PRC. This is my first high end rifle. I’ve never had high end rifles, so I’ve never had high end scopes. My head is spinning over the possible options for glass. I know there’s some folks here who know tons more about glass than I do.

This will be a hunting rifle, but I have access to a 1000yd range as well. I’ll probably spend a good amount of time at the range. I’m willing to spend up to about $1600ish, but don’t necessarily have to use it all.

Scopes I’m looking at:
    Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
    Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52
    Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52
    Zeiss Conquest

Things I haven’t been able to figure out in my own:
    How does the NXS glass compare to the VX-6/VX-5? What are the main differences between the VX-6/VX-5? How is the Zeiss glass? Any other options I should consider?

All help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always used Leupold and have been extremely happy with them. The link above is to the scope I would probably put on a 6.5 PRC if it were my gun. You will get a lot of input for different scopes but all I can tell you is that you do not have to break the bank to get a great quality scope for your rifle.
    And as far as reticles go, for me, the simpler the better, especially in a hunting situation. I like the Leupold Dot but also have stand fine crosshair reticles as well. All of my scopes that are on rifles which will shoot longer distance I have the CDS dial on them. Very simple, one revolution dial with a zero stop based on the ammo you are going to shoot in it.
    Last edited by WyoBull; 02-18-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I've shot all of the ones you mentioned and my recommendation would be the VX6 personally since you said it is a hunting rifle because the NF is a heavy sucker and I believe the VX5/6 glass is superior to the Conquests.

Comment

I would go with the VX5. 99.9% can't tell the difference between the 5 and the 6. I would use the savings for reloading stuff/ammo. On the other hand, if you are the type who just wants to say I'm building this rifle and I'm going to buy the absolute best I can get even though I won't be able to appreciate it technically, then get the VX-6.

If you get real serious in the long range game, none of those scopes are what you will end up with so you will end up buying another more expensive scope afterwards....so another train of thought would be to just go ahead break out the wallet and get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
          https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018307589

I have always used Leupold and have been extremely happy with them. The link above is to the scope I would probably put on a 6.5 PRC if it were my gun. You will get a lot of input for different scopes but all I can tell you is that you do not have to break the bank to get a great quality scope for your rifle.
          And as far as reticles go, for me, the simpler the better, especially in a hunting situation. I like the Leupold Dot but also have stand fine crosshair reticles as well. All of my scopes that are on rifles which will shoot longer distance I have the CDS dial on them. Very simple, one revolution dial with a zero stop based on the ammo you are going to shoot in it.
          I looked at the VX-3i too. Figured there must be a noticeable difference between it and the VX5/VX6

Originally posted by canny View Post
          I've shot all of the ones you mentioned and my recommendation would be the VX6 personally since you said it is a hunting rifle because the NF is a heavy sucker and I believe the VX5/6 glass is superior to the Conquests.
          Yeah the NF is 31oz compared to 23oz for the VX5/6. How does the glass compare?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
            I looked at the VX-3i too. Figured there must be a noticeable difference between it and the VX5/VX6

Yeah the NF is 31oz compared to 23oz for the VX5/6. How does the glass compare?

The VX6 is top notch glass, any differences between it and the NF is negligible and probably not even noticeable to the human eye. I’ve shot the VX5/VX6 next to a Swarovski Z5 and IMO the VX was clearer and crisper than the Swaro.

Comment

I would spend 800$ for a new meopta and save the rest for components.

Comment

Worth a read: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...uation.145959/

Comment

You would be hard pressed to find a better scope in this price range than the Bushnell XRSii

Comment

tagged

Comment

I love Leupold glass. Having said that, I paid around $20 for a Tasco 4x around '67 and there is nothing wrong with it to this day.

Comment

While I’ve heard good things about the meoptas, there’s not really one that hits everything for me.

Exposed turrets, 20-24 max magnification, zero stop, 50mm objective

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                          While I’ve heard good things about the meoptas, there’s not really one that hits everything for me.

Exposed turrets, 20-24 max magnification, zero stop, 50mm objective

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That what I'm talking about

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              I would go with the VX5. 99.9% can't tell the difference between the 5 and the 6. I would use the savings for reloading stuff/ammo. On the other hand, if you are the type who just wants to say I'm building this rifle and I'm going to buy the absolute best I can get even though I won't be able to appreciate it technically, then get the VX-6.

If you get real serious in the long range game, none of those scopes are what you will end up with so you will end up buying another more expensive scope afterwards....so another train of thought would be to just go ahead break out the wallet and get it over with.
                              About as good as it gets in terms of explanation. VX5 is an outstanding scope.

Comment

Working...
                              X