New project truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
    Cool truck. Which EFI system did you end up going with?
    Edelbrock ProFlo 4 direct port injection

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      Nice looking truck, should be fun. Replacing the timing chain and cam should help it out a bit. All of the Ford big blocks starting in 72, they retarded the cam, along with dropping the compression to around 8:1 cr. If you wanted to make that thing run better, without having to buy expensive heads. There is at least one pair of the early closed chamber heads for sale on facebook market place. Those have 70 something cc chambers. The do a lot or the compression ratio. The D3 heads, which that truck should have, are around 98 cc, if I remember correctly. Advancing the cam 8 degrees or basically getting it back to where they were back in the late 60 to 71, which can be done with a common aftermarket double roller timing chain. Straight up on those, should put the cam straight up or close to it, really need to degree it. Then the other thing is to replace the big open chamber heads, with some early heads, then replace the valves with larger valves, that or get some good aftermarket heads. The AFR and the F460 are the better cheaper performance heads, either of those heads, will make huge jumps in power, over any of the factory heads.

One of the trucks I wished I had the most, was one I worked on many years ago. It was about a 76, black, short bed, F150. I think a XLT Ranger. But it had a factory 460 and a 4 spd. I wanted that truck bad, but the old guy who owned it, bought it new and said he would never sell it.

Good luck with the truck, looking pretty good so far.
      I basically followed the 450HP recipe from Fordifiction, except for the EFI instead of a 750 CFM carb. The timing chain has been replaced (straight up) and the pistons used helped eliminate a lot of the "dead space" to increase compression. I don't have all the exact numbers yet but once she is up and running, she will be going for a dyno pull.

Comment

Wow, that is nice, Chef!

Comment

She's a beauty, and I'm not a ford guy by any means.

What is the compartment in front of the rear wheels? Is it on both sides?

Comment

That truck is gonna be a screamer. My first car was a 71 Lincoln with a 460. Never lost a race. Cost me $10 a day to drive to school-run 2 1/4 mile drags at lunch and back home.

Comment

Looking sweet

Comment

Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Guess I should update this thread...

Comment

460 w/ C6, 2.75 rear end, Mild Cam Research Cam, Edelbrock ProFlo4 EFI system.... since my last update I've had to replace the entire fuel system, found a dead cylinder (my fault, bad pushrod placement) and put in a new American Autowire Wiring Harness with all new digital Dolphin guages.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can head my way when you’re done. I have a few car projects for you Looking great! Keep up the hard work. Sure is fun isn’t it

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                        You can head my way when you’re done. I have a few car projects for you Looking great! Keep up the hard work. Sure is fun isn’t it
                        It keeps me sane!!! What projects do you have?? Im always looking for the "next one"...

Comment

Looking good Chef. I have my 68 camaro torn apart now redoing the engine and trans, and shopping for suspensions stuff. The 69 c-10 is getting its trans rebuilt as well.

Comment

Great looking truck! Had a 69 Ford in college with 3-on-the-tree and 390. Cost me $5 just to start it. Gas guzzling machine.

Comment

Clean and simple with power. I Like it. Nice work Chef!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                                Now the real trick will be how to make it better than 4-6 mpg
                                I don't believe I ever saw a 460 eng that got better than 8.
                                They do have a lot of down low pulling power.
                                Nice clean old truck!!!!
                                First truck that I owned that got over 10mpg was an "84 F250 with a 460. it got 11mpg. My '77 F150 with the 351M got 9mpg and my '78 F150 with a 400 got 10 on the money. You have to remember, they were trucks back in the day. Not the family grocery getter they are now. Geared for hauling and only had 3 speed tranny's in them.

OP, this looks like the truck my old boss used to drive. It come from Van Alstyne by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                                X