No announcement yet.

Lead Free - Copper Only Ammo Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of curiosity why the lead free ammo?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

There are a couple of places in Texas, and several in other states that require non-lead ammo. Federal rules.

Comment

Hornady GMX

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
          Must ask, why copper only bullets? They tend to foul a barrel very quickly.
          Lead core bullets can get lead fragments in your meat. Gilding metal monolithics like E-Tip and GMX do not foul any more than regular bullets.

I have just went monolithic, If I like it here, I'm stayin'.

Comment

So I’m assuming you don’t dove or quail hunt with lead shot?

Shooting copper bullets due to lead poisoning is nuts. You tell me you want a better pass through, maybe?

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            Lead core bullets can get lead fragments in your meat. Gilding metal monolithics like E-Tip and GMX do not foul any more than regular bullets.

I have just went monolithic, If I like it here, I'm stayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
              So I’m assuming you don’t dove or quail hunt with lead shot?

Shooting copper bullets due to lead poisoning is nuts. You tell me you want a better pass through, maybe?
              I haven't shot a quail or dove in years. I went pheasant hunting last month, shot lead. In the future probably gonna use bismuth.

The risk of lead in meat is something I've just been cognizant of lately. I thought as long as you trimmed etc there was no need to worry. Research is showing that not to be the case.

Yes, I like exits. One of the things that made me start thinking about this is a buck I shot with a 95 grain ballistic tip three years ago. Had to search hard to find a piece of that bullet the size of 8 shot. No exit, its like the bullet disappeared.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

And yet, your still alive 3 years later.

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                I haven't shot a quail or dove in years. I went pheasant hunting last month, shot lead. In the future probably gonna use bismuth.

The risk of lead in meat is something I've just been cognizant of lately. I thought as long as you trimmed etc there was no need to worry. Research is showing that not to be the case.

Yes, I like exits. One of the things that made me start thinking about this is a buck I shot with a 95 grain ballistic tip three years ago. Had to search hard to find a piece of that bullet the size of 8 shot. No exit, its like the bullet disappeared.

Comment

Low level, infrequent lead exposure probably doesn't affect adults much. But it is unappetizing. I don't want the thought to sully a delicious supper. Also, I dont like the idea of poisoning scavengers.

Comment

As a kid I carried my lead pellets for my air rifle in my lip like a dip of snuff. Lol

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                      As a kid I carried my lead pellets for my air rifle in my lip like a dip of snuff. Lol

Despite liberal activism, and anti-hunters, It is pretty hard to get enough lead in your system to be harmful. I have cast bullets from scrap lead, and smelted scrap lead for bullets and fishing weights for nearly 50 years, i have eaten all sorts of game animals and birds that were shot with lead bullets and shotgun shot. I do not have elevated lead levels. However, the original post was asking about non lead bullets, I'm assuming to comply with a law, and my recommendation would be Barnes, whether factory or handloaded.

Comment

X2

Comment

I have used Most brands of monos on game fairly extensively both here and in Africa on all sizes of animals. My #1 choice is the Federal premium trophy copper. Kind of a cross between a Barnes and an accubond. #2 choice is TTSX. If you haven't tried the trophy copper, I highly recommend them.
                          R

Comment

Me too, I wonder if that’s what’s wrong with me now.

Comment

Bringing this back up. I have a new rifle. Never fired. Is there any special cleaning or care needed for a gun shooting copper? Can I still use the same gun cleaning regimen I’ve been used to for 20yrs? Hopes 9 and 3-in-1 oil???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I didn't do anything different with mine. I've read on another forum to use Dyna-Tek Bore Coat and it reduces fouling. I've never had an issue with the Barnes TTSX or the X-bullet fouling my bores that much. I always clean it the same way. I use Montana Extreme Copper Remover for the copper fouling and JB Bore if I have a very dirty barrel from extended use. A nylon brush, bore guide and a bunch of patches and get after it.

I've used Wipe Out with the accelerator as well, but it didn't seem to get out all of the copper fouling.

Comment

Working...
                                X