Crazy close bobcat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy close bobcat.

Went and called specifically for a bobcat this afternoon. I've called in several in the same spot over the years so I knew I had a decent chance. With not very much daylight left I hurried in as quietly as I could and sat down with my back against a tree and turned the call on. It was really thick in there so I'm looking for the slightest movement not really paying much attention to anything else.

About 4 minutes in I heard a limb move to my left and back behind me. It didn't snap or anything just moved so I figured maybe a bird was messing around back there. Around 12 or 13 minutes into the stand I hear it again except it sounds louder this time so I look over my left shoulder and a bobcat is 5 feet away from me. I think it surprised us both equally. I cannot believe it sat there practically right beside me for over 5 minutes without either one of us knowing it. I either sit really still or that bobcat isn't very observant.

That is a cool encounter for sure!!
    Several years ago my son and I were turkey hunting. He was the shooter and I was going to video. Bout the time we got close to where we were going to set up Si realized I forgot to swap out the dead cam battery so I stayed behind setting on the edge of a clearing. He went in and set up and started calling.
    Some hen turkey started moving into the clearing. All of a sudden they all went to full alert and started putting. I looked to my right and a nice bobcat was setting at the edge of the clearing. He stood up and started towards me. If he would have been any closer he would have had to have stepped over my legs !!!!!

Comment

What call do you use for Bobcats?

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
        That is a cool encounter for sure!!
        Several years ago my son and I were turkey hunting. He was the shooter and I was going to video. Bout the time we got close to where we were going to set up Si realized I forgot to swap out the dead cam battery so I stayed behind setting on the edge of a clearing. He went in and set up and started calling.
        Some hen turkey started moving into the clearing. All of a sudden they all went to full alert and started putting. I looked to my right and a nice bobcat was setting at the edge of the clearing. He stood up and started towards me. If he would have been any closer he would have had to have stepped over my legs !!!!!
        When they're locked on they sure don't pay attention to nothing else. Well.......apparently the same can be said about me.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          What call do you use for Bobcats?
          I like any busy sounds like cottontail or any type of bird. But I also switch up sounds quite a bit for calling in bobcats to keep them interested. This evening I didn't because I didn't have much time so I just picked one and let it play. Plus I stay on stand for quite a while when I'm calling for cats so I don't like listening to the same thing over and over again.
          Last edited by okrattler; 01-26-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I have a particular hill I like to call from on our place. I was doing some mid morning calling on a dreary day. I sit just beneath the crest of the hill amongst some large rocks. So basically from most approach angles, my head is the only part of me visible, and it looks like the rocks around it.

After 12 or so minutes I got the distinct feeling I was being watched. I slowly rotated my bed counter clockwise to look behind me. Sure enough a mature coyote had come in upwind and along the top of the rise. We both came out of our skin.

One morning my dad was sitting on that same hill. As the sun came up, just a few yards to his right he could see the rhythmic steam of breaths rising into the cold air. A bobcat had decided to hunt next to him on the hill. Not sure either was aware of the other’s presence until my dad was the puffs of breaths rising in the new born dawn

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              I have a particular hill I like to call from on our place. I was doing some mid morning calling on a dreary day. I sit just beneath the crest of the hill amongst some large rocks. So basically from most approach angles, my head is the only part of me visible, and it looks like the rocks around it.

After 12 or so minutes I got the distinct feeling I was being watched. I slowly rotated my bed counter clockwise to look behind me. Sure enough a mature coyote had come in upwind and along the top of the rise. We both came out of our skin.

One morning my dad was sitting on that same hill. As the sun came up, just a few yards to his right he could see the rhythmic steam of breaths rising into the cold air. A bobcat had decided to hunt next to him on the hill. Not sure either was aware of the other’s presence until my dad was the puffs of breaths rising in the new born dawn
              Pretty cool some of the things you can see while calling. I had a coyote come around a tree I was leaned up against once. I could have reached out and slapped it on the nose I was so close. It never even knew I was there. It knocked my call off a log I had it on and it about tipped over backwards it scared it so bad. I never got a shot at that coyote.

Another time I had a coyote so close I couldn't see anything but brown fur through the scope on the lowest power. I clicked the safety off so he'd run. I had to wait until he was far enough away that I could see him before I shot. I did end up killin that one.

Comment

I've had a couple of close encounters with Mr. Bob. I had one as close as 3 feet when I was calling yotes on a lease north of Van Horn. The caller was running and I was ranging targets over a brushy draw. I put the rangefinder down and saw this cat walking along the hillside I was on headed for the call. I guess he saw me move and thought I was the rabbit. He got within 3 feet of my feet before I tried to shoo him off. He just looked at me, and then backed up about 3 feet before making a circle around me. He eventually took off, but he didn't make it far before the 7 mag took him out.

Another time I was calling turkeys on Corps land around Lake Aquilla and was trading calls with a gobbler when I heard a noise off to my left. I looked over and there he was, looking for a turkey dinner and was about 6 feet from me. I tried to shoo him off, but he was having none of it. He just kept circling around me until he got down wind and then he only moved off about 20 yards. I didn't have a gun on me or anything that day.

Comment

So what happened in the next couple of seconds after your story ends?

Did both of y’all jump out of your skin? Did it just turn and walk away?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    So what happened in the next couple of seconds after your story ends?

Did both of y’all jump out of your skin? Did it just turn and walk away?
                    He finally just walked off and I go the heck out of there.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Very cool. As spooky as they seem to be I had one at 10 yards for quite a while. I was sitting next to a tree where I felt very non incognito. Never realized I was there and eventually walked off.

Comment

My buddy was at my place a few yrs ago and had one come and sit next to him. He fed it beef jerky. Then it came over to me and i dropped it. Had it mounted. It just came out ok. Not happy for what i paid.

Comment

I've always heard that you only see 1 our of every 9 cats that you call up in the daytime!

Comment

I was calling Wood ducks in flooded timber in Florida Over 20 years ago. Suddenly caught movement on my left and a bobcat launched off my leg looking for the “ duck” on the other side! He peaked at about 5-6 ft and landed 10 feet in front of me. I didn’t shoot him but I was talking to myself after the encounter! I did have a few scratches on my thigh but nothing serious.

Comment

Working...
                              X