• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eland for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
      Shoot a hog instead.

Thanks for all the replies. Eland is what I was thinking and it sounds like that is probably the right choice to start with. I cant say I wont "send it" if one of the others walk out first though. The water buffalo really intrigued me as I didnt realize they where here in Texas.
      And the pigs, there are supposed to be a lot of them and I believe we are being given free reign on those. I love to spot and stalk them so if I can connect early on my big animal, I will be giving the pigs hell.

As far as the friend part goes, it is amazing what can happen in a person's life. Ive been friends with this guy since 6th grade and we are both now 56. He couldnt afford the prices to deer hunt so I would take him hunting quite a bit and let him shoot stuff on my leases over the years. He went through an ugly period also thanks to a ***** of an ex wife where I helped him out because that's what friends do. Never in my thoughts did I think he would be in position to return the favors. He has bounced back nicely and has been in a great place for a number of years now. God is great, both of us are firm believers in that.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        The first one that walks out in front of you, which will be your last day given your history….
        We all have to have a reputation. Im good with it.

Comment

I think you are an ungrateful friend for not shooting stuff the first times he offered it!

You should let me tag along, shoot your animal, and show him some real appreciation!

Seriously, though, if you don't shoulder mount whatever it is you shoot, bring me the cape!

Comment

Enjoy your time with your friend and the hunt. I would shoot whichever animal on the list that gives you the best shot opportunity rather than waiting for a specific animal. As already stated above, if you pick one breed it will probably be the one you see the least. That helps takes the pressure off the hunt and you can relax in the stand and just enjoy the experience. Good luck and have a great hunt! Post a pic if you are successful.

Comment

If elk is last on the list, then it's a mighty fine list of meat. Elk is wonderful. I'd say shoot whichever one of those big, tasty animals stands broadside in bow range first. If all of them were in front of you at the same time, then shoot the eland. Most meat of any of them, and everyone says it's awesome (I've never tasted it).

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                I think you are an ungrateful friend for not shooting stuff the first times he offered it!

You should let me tag along, shoot your animal, and show him some real appreciation!

Seriously, though, if you don't shoulder mount whatever it is you shoot, bring me the cape!
                I will do my best! Do you want any others I can procure while on this trip? There may be others that dont do a shoulder mount either.

Comment

Nilgai is considerably better then elk or axis, that being said I would shoot the eland just for the cool factor and from other responses meat is just as good

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                    I will do my best! Do you want any others I can procure while on this trip? There may be others that dont do a shoulder mount either.
                    Yep. Bring whatever isn't wanted.
                    I'll buy you a beer or something.

Comment

All I've eaten on your list is Nilgai and it is AWESOME!

Comment

Nilgai gets my vote for quality of the meat.

Comment

Never had some listed, but I'm about to take a Elk recipe out of the oven and it smells great!

Comment

Which one is the best eating?

Eland it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by rtp; 01-24-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Congrats, awesome animal

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                                X