No announcement yet.

Law enforcement / traffic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my younger days I always complained about the HID lights being to bright. Now that I'm older and can not see as good I'm glad to have the LED lights in my F250. I feel a lot more comfortable driving at night now. Now when I approach bright lights I just focus on the right side of the road to keep from getting blinded.

Comment

The state did away with the headlight adjustment many years ago, which was really stupid. There are so many goggle eye, misaligned lights (due to lifts, tires, leveling tonka toy trucks) the inspection would catch if they'd reinstate that part. That is the "safety" part of it for errrbody. It is already a violation to drive on public roadways with light bars, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by The Texan View Post
        I have a totally stock new model Gmc Sierra and get flashed all the time with my brights not on. If there is any weight in the back I really get flashed. I’ll sometimes flash people back just to show them how glad they are my brights arnt actually on.
        Same in my Silverado

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          In my younger days I always complained about the HID lights being to bright. Now that I'm older and can not see as good I'm glad to have the LED lights in my F250. I feel a lot more comfortable driving at night now. Now when I approach bright lights I just focus on the right side of the road to keep from getting blinded.
          Yep! I like the led lights now. I do 95% of my driving in the country. I hardly ever turn my brights on. Except to flash back other drivers for flashing me

Comment

About once a month a pass trucks driving with their roof mounted light bars on. Also seen them running with the grill mounted light bars. I don't know why they think that is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

Back to the bright lights, I saw some at the DMV a while back that left a lasting impression. 38* outside and no restraint system to keep them in check.

I know it's rude to stare, but durn it I think that was the agenda.
              Without pics . . .

Gary

Comment

Look up Sec 547.333 of the Texas Traffic Code

Comment

Originally posted by The Texan View Post
                  I have a totally stock new model Gmc Sierra and get flashed all the time with my brights not on. If there is any weight in the back I really get flashed. I’ll sometimes flash people back just to show them how glad they are my brights arnt actually on.
                  Same here. I have the 2019 Silverado and get flashed a lot as well. Especially with a trailer hooked up. My buddy called me a while back when I was behind him and told me to turn my fn brights off. So I turned them on and he said oh nvm

Comment

No respect for most thing anymore. Yes Brian, you are getting older!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Without pics . . .

Gary
                      If I coulda I woulda, but that would have just made it more awkward.
                      Those lights were so bright I was wishing I had some shades on so my eyes wouldn't hurt so bad when I tried looking that direction.
                      We did make eye contact a few times and she knew what she was up to.
                      I'm guessing she was a pro of some sorts.

They were impressionable enough I relayed the incident to my wife on the way home wondering if my enthusiasm would set off an attempt to test the lumen output at the house......no dice.
                      Last edited by DaveC; 01-17-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I’ll tell you as a LEO I can’t give someone a ticket for it because I don’t have a lumen reader. The don’t provide us anything like that and if I wanted to enforce that specific law (300,000 candlepower I believe is how it’s written but I’d have to go and look it up again) I’d have to purchase a device that could tell me exactly how many candlepower the beam was. Then I’d have to have formal “training” on how to use the device and as far as I know there’s no class for that. I agree completely about the headlights now days and I stop anyone that I see with their brights on because THAT is easy to see and argue in court. Mostly, drivers just don’t even know they’re on. The rest, unfortunately are drunk. You’d be surprised how many of those drivers with their high beams on are actually drunks.

Same thing with tint. I need a tint reader to enforce that law and I’d have to buy it then take a class to enforce it. The second someone asks me in court “who trained me” on how to use it or whatever I’d loose the case if I didn’t provide a reputable source. EVERYTHING we do is ridiculously scrutinized and if I can’t provide that info I’m hung out to dry in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I blinded a Llano county sheriff deputy last week that apparently thought my bright lights were on....

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            Stop on to an empty road and aim them. If you can't see the top of your low beams on the road, they are aimed too high.

If you absolutely can't find an empty road, park your truck on level ground in front of a wall or the garage, then measure the height to the bulb in the headlamp assembly, then measure the top of the low beam on the wall in front of your truck. If the top of the low beam is higher than the bulb, you are blinding other drivers.

Youtube has dozens of videos how to do this on just about every vehicle out there.

This

Even on my new all stock truck they were too high from the factory. If you drive a new Chevy, open the hood and a phillips screwdriver will adjust it. There is a hole in the plastic above each light. Only take a couple minutes and will save being flashed all the time.

Comment

It has to do with high beam low beam. Headlights today all look like high beam lights to me. Hard to enforce unless it is obvious and you can see. Most lights today come from same dome

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                                I blinded a Llano county sheriff deputy last week that apparently thought my bright lights were on....
                                I did that many years ago to a popo I didn't realize was a LEO.

He hit his brakes and came to a complete stop in the road as I drove past.

I looked down at the freshly opened beverage in my console (3 miles from house, just purchased and headed home) and thought, oooh cruuud.
                                Luckily he took his foot off the break and proceeded on, as did I ever so carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X