Trailer Wheel Stud Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
    Another consideration, are your rims lug centric, or hub centric?

Best is hub centric, i.e. the weight of the trailer is on the hub, the studs/lugs only hold the wheel on.

This may explain it better than I can- https://www.machinedesign.com/fasten...centric-wheels

I’ll have to take a look later today. I can see why hub centric would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
      Madisonville, but yes a Texas Pride. How did you guess?

It says the manufacturer name on the sticker you posted!

I’ve got the same trailer with 15k axles and haven’t had lug troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyjones View Post
        It says the manufacturer name on the sticker you posted!

I’ve got the same trailer with 15k axles and haven’t had lug troubles.

What torque setting do you use?

Comment

Baffled

I am truly baffled with the Texas pride lug stud torque requirement in comparison to my top hat and diamond C , you have really had MyRadar going off thinking about checking my trailers ( I check the tire psi’s regular but not the torque)
          Example
          Attached Files

Comment

It’s a lot of weight, but not overloaded. The GVWR of the trailer is 26000 and when I weighed the last time I had 22,000 on the trailer axles.

The axles are likely only rated at 24K and the tires are likely not rated that high. You are hauling at over 90% oh the rated capacity of the axles. I would suggest moving the load forward somewhat and putting some of the weight on the truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by STICKIT View Post
              The axles are likely only rated at 24K and the tires are likely not rated that high. You are hauling at over 90% oh the rated capacity of the axles. I would suggest moving the load forward somewhat and putting some of the weight on the truck.

May need a higher capacity trailer
              I messed up my trailer doing a favor for a buddy hauling a combine from the RGV to bay city when the tractor dealership
              Overloaded my trailer
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                165 seems excessive

I don’t think they need to be that tight. I use a big 4way and lean on it till they squeak.lol

I bet the wheel/hub/lug nut combo isn’t centering the wheel and keeping it seated right. Or they hammered them with the thunder gun at the factory.
                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-12-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

My son works for Discount Tire and their standard for that size is 120 ft-lbs

Comment

Originally posted by STICKIT View Post

20,980 was actually the weight on trailer axles.

Next time I’m out your direction I might take you up on your offer to put it on the scale you have access to.

Last edited by Stolle; 01-12-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

My son works for Discount Tire and their standard for that size is 120 ft-lbs

I’m concerned they were over torqued from the start.

Take a look at my owners manual and then the document from trailer wheel and frame. They have 2 specifications for flange nuts. Rotating and Non Rotating. I have rotating.

I’m going to take these and have discussion with the Q/A guy. See what he has to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                        Another consideration, are your rims lug centric, or hub centric?

Best is hub centric, i.e. the weight of the trailer is on the hub, the studs/lugs only hold the wheel on.

This may explain it better than I can- https://www.machinedesign.com/fasten...centric-wheels

Hub centric.

Comment

Hub centric.

Are you sure? Pic may be deceiving but there appears to be a gap between the hub and wheel and I see the alignment holes that are used to properly align lug centric duals.

Comment

Are you sure? Pic may be deceiving but there appears to be a gap between the hub and wheel and I see the alignment holes that are used to properly align lug centric duals.

Not a 100%. It doesn’t appear to be much space when you look at it.

Comment

Madisonville, but yes a Texas Pride. How did you guess?

Just not surprised.... there is a reason there trailers are cheap!
                              Yea sorry madisonville.

Comment

And trailers are underrated so I mean obviously your loaded but it’s shouldn’t be breaking studs.

We have 3 goosenecks we regularly load overweight.... I’m just being honest with never a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X