Chaparral 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaparral 2019

Has anyone from the early December archery hunt received any recent info? Getting close to go time for y'all.

Nothing. Just the original email when I paid.

Comment

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post
      Nothing. Just the original email when I paid.
      Hmm, thought y'all might have received a compartment map and drawing order. Maybe this next week.

Comment

I dont remember receiving anything ahead of time except the original email. I wasn't expecting anything this time. Anyone correct me if you have in the past?

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
          I dont remember receiving anything ahead of time except the original email. I wasn't expecting anything this time. Anyone correct me if you have in the past?
          Oh, guess I was mistaken. After reading the other threads, I thought the updated compartment map would be made available. I also thought the drawing order/process would be disclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
            Oh, guess I was mistaken. After reading the other threads, I thought the updated compartment map would be made available. I also thought the drawing order/process would be disclosed.
            I just did a search for the chap in my email. Still have the original email from 2014 from buying permits etc but didn't receive anything after that. I remember going in blind last time lol. I was drawn on pending 2nd draw last time so not sure if that makes a difference or not. Hopefully they do send something out. I'm ready to get out there again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

They do post the compartments on their Facebook page for sure though. This was just posted yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                They do post the compartments on their Facebook page for sure though. This was just posted yesterday

Gotcha. I imagine they may be a tad different for the archery hunt due to the limited range.

I'm with ya on getting out there. My first trip down there. It will actually be my first time going on a tpwd draw hunt.

Comment

Gotcha. I imagine they may be a tad different for the archery hunt due to the limited range.

I'm with ya on getting out there. My first trip down there. It will actually be my first time going on a tpwd draw hunt.
                  If you can go down early it's open for quail hunting 11/30-12/1, which would be a perfect opportunity to do some scouting. No need to hunt birds just drive and walk. The paved roads make covering lots of ground easy. I was down there last week for quail and the crowds were very light. I was #9 to check-in the first day and that was four hours after the gates opened. Jumped a decent buck near the tripod in W Guajolte and found one side of a 10pt shed with almost 6" bases in the same area.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                    If you can go down early it's open for quail hunting 11/30-12/1, which would be a perfect opportunity to do some scouting. No need to hunt birds just drive and walk. The paved roads make covering lots of ground easy. I was down there last week for quail and the crowds were very light. I was #9 to check-in the first day and that was four hours after the gates opened. Jumped a decent buck near the tripod in W Guajolte and found one side of a 10pt shed with almost 6" bases in the same area.
                    Unfortunately, making a trip down to quail hunt is out. I had wanted to make a trip down, but schedule wouldn't allow it.

This is some of the info I need. I have no clue what each unit is called. I see folks throw out names of units but have zero idea of where those units are located within the WMA.

Comment

Unfortunately, making a trip down to quail hunt is out. I had wanted to make a trip down, but schedule wouldn't allow it.

This is some of the info I need. I have no clue what each unit is called. I see folks throw out names of units but have zero idea of where those units are located within the WMA.
                      I'm sure guys on here have their "favorite" pastures/compartments down there but my recommendation is..... don't overthink it. Pick a pasture and get after it. Lots of targets down there. I've been fortunate (mostly with my kids) to hunt this WMA over 10 times and I've seen good, mature bucks in every pasture I've been in. One of the largest I ever saw was literally 100 yards behind the office as I was driving out one day.

In my opinion, your setup and concealment is going to be more important than which pasture you select. After drawing, get to your compartment and identify several stand locations. SPEND ALOT OF TIME either brushing in your ground blind or selecting good cover for a tripod. If you think it's good enough, add more brush....

Also be prepared to see a bunch of "borderline" bucks. There will be alot of solid, younger deer which will be at or just above their 14 inch requirement. Hold out for a mature deer and you won't be disappointed.

Congrats on getting drawn and best of luck.

Comment

On the first archery hunt(Dec 3).
                        What is considered "good weather" down there this time of the year?

Comment

Obviously not an expert, but I recall reading something along the lines of 40's and 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                            I'm sure guys on here have their "favorite" pastures/compartments down there but my recommendation is..... don't overthink it. Pick a pasture and get after it. Lots of targets down there. I've been fortunate (mostly with my kids) to hunt this WMA over 10 times and I've seen good, mature bucks in every pasture I've been in. One of the largest I ever saw was literally 100 yards behind the office as I was driving out one day.

In my opinion, your setup and concealment is going to be more important than which pasture you select. After drawing, get to your compartment and identify several stand locations. SPEND ALOT OF TIME either brushing in your ground blind or selecting good cover for a tripod. If you think it's good enough, add more brush....

Also be prepared to see a bunch of "borderline" bucks. There will be alot of solid, younger deer which will be at or just above their 14 inch requirement. Hold out for a mature deer and you won't be disappointed.

Congrats on getting drawn and best of luck.
                            I appreciate the info and thanks. Main reason I am eager to get the draw/compartment info is so I can do some prescouting via google maps.Get ideas for choke points, low areas, etc.

Comment

I appreciate the info and thanks. Main reason I am eager to get the draw/compartment info is so I can do some prescouting via google maps.Get ideas for choke points, low areas, etc.
                              They generally post the compartment maps on their Facebook page a couple weeks before the hunt. Once it's posted, you could definitely use Google maps and identify a couple compartments you would like to hunt in. Hunters pick compartments based on their permit number. First selected in the system gets to pick first, etc. Any standbys get the remaining compartments after drawn hunters pick.

We did this last year for our archery hunt. I had 4 compartments pre-identified (based on previous hunts) and we drew fairly early so we got one of the 4 compartments. Funny thing is, even with the pre-work we moved a couple stands after the first few hunts and got into better areas with the deer activity.

Spend some time scouting early in the hunt (middle of day worked for us). We pinpointed a couple mature bucks just glassing roads/senderos midday and moved into those areas. Saw more deer activity once we moved.

Comment

Working...
                              X