Lime suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lime suggestions

have a 1/4 acre plot in east texas red clay/loam thats at 5.7 Ph. have had raddish and red clover work in past, but have not grown very big. any ideas on pelletized/barn lime, where to get it between austin and rusk, and application rates? thought i read somewhere that you need a ton an acre to raise ph 1 point. thanks

On small plots like that, when I didn't have time for a soil test, I've always used bagged lime and just turn it white. Ten bags=500 lbs. , and that's what I would try first.

Southland Feed in Rusk probably has it.

Comment

great, thanks. you think that will put me over 6.0 so i can plant chicory? or should i go with something more pH tolerant to be safe

Comment

im looking at elbon rye because its ph tolerant, anybody have experience with it?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasTiger View Post
          im looking at elbon rye because its ph tolerant, anybody have experience with it?
          Why not winter rye thats even better? Stuff grows the fastest out that family and is easily established.

Comment

Elbon rye for a fall plot ? That's when I plant it, and I've had pretty good luck with it planted in conjunction with wheat.

You should have had a lime recommendation with your soil test. Per acre or per sq. foot is usually what they do.

I just put out 500 lb. today on a narrow strip of a plot that I will plant in clover and chicory this fall.

Comment

Working...
            X