Cresting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cresting

Does anyone know of a good (cheap) way to make a cresting jig?

When I first started I used a cordless drill. Nothing else.

Comment

I made a marginal one, once. $5 garage sale circular saw for a motor. Rubber tubing for a chuck. 2x4 with closet door rollers. Takes a while to get it all lined up, but works well enough.

When my nephew took an interest, I broke down and bought a jig, so we would not be quite so 'ghetto'. From that stand point is was worth it. Otherwise, I would still be using my cheap bas...frugal home made rig.

Comment

Thanks I've seen several on youtube I thought about trying I've built a lot of arrows even custom spliced feathers just never crested them.. need something to occupy my time now that deer season is over haha

Comment

Look for a used bohning crester not too expensive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have an arrow saw, you can use a router speed control to slow it down with out hurting it. You have to make the dealio that holds the arrow at the motor and the one down the shaft but it seems very doable.

Comment

Rusty had a cool looking DIY one; trying to remember what thread it was on.

Comment

Yes I have an arrow saw. A friend of mine claims he can build a very good one, we shall see

Comment

It's actually in SwampRabbits "Countdown" thread back in September. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

"Good" and "Cheap" usually don't run together

Comment

Comment

My crester is made out of an old thing that was used to put line on a fishing reel. It works great and it is nice having the variable foot control for the motor speed.

Comment

Thank yall going to look at what I can do.

Comment

FWIW, mine is built from an old sewing machine motor with tubing on the shaft to drive the arrow and a couple of adjustable V blocks with velcro in the V to hold the arrow in.

The VS of the sewing machine motor is nice but put a limiter block in the foot peddle or you'll fling some paint.

mark

Comment

Working...
                            X