Two Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Down

Season's over so I've started on the corn thieves--have 4 Duke's and 2 live traps out for 3 nights. Caught 1 possum in a live trap which I released, another critter in the same live trap which escaped, so probably a 'coon, and these two:

Way to go!

Comment

Varmint cages on feeders work well

Comment

Got cages on the feeders--these 'coons are "bottom feeders" and can vacuum corn almost as well as turkeys and javis

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
          Varmint cages on feeders work well
          Doesnt get rid of them bastad's! They still take up SD card room, batteries in camera, and most importantly eat eggs and feed

Comment

I had a real problem several years ago, but now I just see maybe 1-2 on camera.

Comment

Why did you let the opossum go?

Comment

Nice, all good till you get a couple skunks. Then traps end up in the tool box of your truck for the next couple years. Hopefully you won't have the joy of that experience. Lol.

Comment

I let the possum go because it doesn't bother anything--never seen them stopping to eat corn, just passing by.

Skunks? Bring 'em on. Never caught one in the Duke's because I don't use fish/meat based baits, but sweet based baits. And, if I do, they get shot and left for the buzzards just like the 'coons. I've been using skunk scent for a cover scent for probably 40 years, and the smell doesn't bother me.

I have trapped 32 skunks in my yard since we moved here in 2000--and I use stinky fishy cat food for bait there. Catch a few possums too (and free-ranging neighbor's cats).

Comment

What do yall put in those cuffs to catch the coons

Comment

Joey--I use either banana flavored moon pies or stale, sticky marshmellows with a drop of banana flavoring on them. Marshmellows seem to be better as it is hard to pull them out from under the trigger without tripping the trap. Moon pies work good too, but both baits are the pits in warm weather due to ants. Then I'd switch to corn.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        Joey--I use either banana flavored moon pies or stale, sticky marshmellows with a drop of banana flavoring on them. Marshmellows seem to be better as it is hard to pull them out from under the trigger without tripping the trap. Moon pies work good too, but both baits are the pits in warm weather due to ants. Then I'd switch to corn.
                        I may do that until ants start hammering them and then switch to corn!

Ants suck for DP traps

Comment

One more this morning--caught all 3 of them at the same feeder-- and on the bait topic--friend of mine had a problem with them eating his roasting ears and borrowed one of the traps. Used watermelon-flavored gum and caught him!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                            We use what looks like a raisin. Not sure what brand but they smell like fish. Just use a stick and roll a few into the trap. Best part is the bait doesn't stick to the trap

Comment

Got #4 this morning at the other feeder.

Comment

Working...
                              X