when to plant spring plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to plant spring plots

well, i found a deal on a bunch of tecomate pea mix blend with radishes from academy last week. theyre clearancing all they're hunting season stuff and it was 60% off each bag. picked up 5 bags. i've got a total of maybe 2 acres to plant between 3 plots.

i've only done a fall plot once, so i'm a newbie at this. last weekend i disc'd the new plot areas as we had some rain and i figured it would be easier to break it up. it definately was. ground looks awesome.

question is, when should i go about planting the seeds? this is in robert lee, west texas.

thanks in advance!

Usually around the date of last frost for your area. I'm on the coast so around Valentines day for me.

Comment

sweet... that's what i was thinking. lows have been in the 40's right now... i'll give it a couple more weeks before i start broadcasting and covering.

Comment

Its all about the soil temps for each individual plant. Get you a cheap thermometer and check about an inch below the soil in the morning.

Cow peas need ~ 65 degrees or above for the best germination. Radishes can tolerate much cooler.

Edit: Are those peas in that mix cow peas or winter peas? I bet since they are with radishes they are winter peas and could be planted now or in a few weeks. It will say on the tag. If so that's more of a fall crop....it will work in the spring but it won't last too long when temps get hot. Those radishes will bolt (flower and form seed heads) pretty quick in the spring. Radishes I planted a few years ago bolted pretty quickly once temps got warmer and the deer didn't touch them. You still have some time though.
        Last edited by unclefish; 01-29-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

it says cow pea mix with radishes.

Comment

here's the exact mix...

The Tecomate Bean Blends 11 lb. Deer Pea Plus Food Plot contains ebony peas, cowpeas, forage soybeans, sunflower, sorghum and milo so you can create a springtime food plot up to 0.5 acres. The biodegradable, highly drought-resistant blend is easy to plant and grow, and it attracts white-tailed deer and upland game birds. Normally consumed over a period of 3 - 4 months.

Comment

You should be good to go this spring then! That is a warm season mix.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                You should be good to go this spring then! That is a warm season mix.
                Thats good to know. Thanks.

Comment

3rd or 4th week of April....you don't want to be too early (frost/too cold to germinate) and you don't want to be too late and avoid the spring rains! Good luck!

Comment

well i haven't been back out to the lease since i did my first ground discing... when i was there i planted a handful of seeds in some caged areas just to see if they would grow... a little experiment. when i came home my wife suggested i throw some in a large flower pot we had out back that was just filled with fill dirt from the garden. we had some rain and i can report it's all sprouting in the pot out back...lol! i think i'm going to wait till the end of feb - early march to throw it down. that seems to be when we get the most rain around here (the little we get that is)

Comment

Working...
                    X