Anyone heard of corn killing quail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone heard of corn killing quail?

I've heard in the past about "Aflotxins" harming turkeys but not quail has anybody heard the same?
    A friend of mine got on a new lease and the owner told him no corn feeders because of this reason.

Aflatoxin can kill deer and cattle if the levels are high enough. You can test to see if it is present with a black light.

Comment

One of the places I hunt runs corn in the quail feeders just for the birds

Comment

It really depends on the aflotoxins present in the corn you buy. It should be labeled on the bags of corn. I would go with the lowest amount available. Aflotoxins can kills turkey, dove, quail, and other birds. Really don't know the extent of how many birds are killed by corn each year. Tell your buddy to use peas in place of corn if the landowner is concerned about killing the quail with corn, peas won't harm the birds.

Comment

Never heard anything about it until I read an article a couple of weeks ago, but who knows if it is true or not.

Comment

there going to feed soybeans and peas in their spin feeders,sure sounds expensive

Comment

I used to run a grain elevator up in Friona, TX and I would buy Aflatoxin corn from south Texas and mix it with clean corn up in the panhandle where my elevator was. The TDA made me save samples from every truck of mixed corn that I sold incase a feedlot had any cattle die. Aflatoxin at high levels can kill cattle. I used a black light to check the corn as it went out. The black light will only tell you if Aflatoxin is present, not the levels, so if your concerned about it being present in corn you can check it that way.

Comment

yes but don't know much more than that.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X