Ageing deer in different areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ageing deer in different areas

I hunt with a group of four that is very management minded.
    We hunted the Sterling city area for five years and got very accurate at judging both age and score. We moved to a lease in Tom Green county 40 miles away and are having a tough time being as accurate on the deer on this new lease. The body size is smaller, and the body configuration is different. There was a deer killed this year that was past 7 yrs and we had been putting him around 4.5. JSame with antler score. We are all just a little off this year. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences hunting in different areas?
    I may add some pics. later on deer taken this year and see what you guys score them at.

Actually you are not alone. Every time I hunt a new place I find this to be the case. I think that's one reason when hunting with someone(like a guide) its important to not dismiss all they have to say even when it doesn't seem right.

Comment

Makes alot of difference on location of animals. Post the pictures up. The age&score threads are great in helping others develop their own skills.

Comment

Yeah I know Exactly what you mean. I can age and score deer in East Texas pretty accuratley, but at our old lease in Falfurrias it was completly different. Those deer down there were always older than we were guessing them and smaller score wise. They never had the mass or mainbeams like East Texas Deer do so you had to account for 5-10 inches smaller than your first guess.

Comment

Depends on what your using to age them.
          Teeth will wear differently in different enviroments.
          Deer eating in lush clover fields ect. will have less tooth wear than a deer eating corn on sandy ground.
          Body characteristics are more reliable than tooth wear IMHO.

Comment

That is a hard thing to do! Keep this bit of information when judging on the hoof.
            Overmatured bucks are often mistaken for younger animals because some body characteristics tend to revert. Muscularity is lost in the neck area because these animals may not participate as frequently in normal rutting activities. A swayed back and a prominent potbelly and short fat snout.

Comment

Yep. I can age Maverick Co deer in my sleep. The further east you go the harder it is for me. Cotulla, I'm still good, move east of Freer and I start to get less confident and along the coast here near Corpus, forget about it. I'm, more guessing than fully confident.

Comment

Working...
              X