No announcement yet.

Briars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Froggy, thats good info on the briar. Where did you find those kind of interesting facts on plants?

Comment

If its like my place, there are too many trees for fire. I try to shred trails through my briar.

Comment

Originally posted by dfwhogkiller View Post
        What can you do to get rid of them, ours are 3' tall over almost 3/4 the property and our deer wont go through them. we mow paths through them that the deer travel, should we just mow all of them?

3'? Put some fertilizer on it. Not all of it of course, just some spots where you see they use it or in areas you decide you will be setting up to hunt. Now since it covers 3/4 of your place, do like Txtimetravlr says and set up some cameras or just make some observations on what your deer are doing. I would be glad if I had 5 to 10 acres that is inpenetrable as a bedding site. We also have American Beautyberry, honeysuckle etc around here. Our greenfields were reseeding clover mixes with oats and wheat. This gave browse or greenfields year round. Add your corn and protein and you're there.

Forgot to mention though we did not have hogs.

Comment

we had some over taking a pasture a few years ago, we mowed it very short to the ground in late summer or early fall, after a couple of years it was mostly gone.

Comment

Just noticed this thread. Where I hunted in Louisiana, the properties with the thick briar patches held the most deer. They eat the leaves and berries. I would do some more research before I removed them. If the deer on this side of the creek don't use them for food or shelter, then plow them up.

Comment

One of the highest proteins out there. The deer love it. Don't get rid of them!

Comment

I fertilize my green brier, deer love it and with fertilize I have tested some that was 18% protein. Good stuff to have IF you can keep it low and tender. Keep it 4 feet and lower

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  I fertilize my green brier, deer love it and with fertilize I have tested some that was 18% protein. Good stuff to have IF you can keep it low and tender. Keep it 4 feet and lower
                  im going to mow paths in it to funnel deer and ill also mow it to keep it more new growth

Comment

Working...
                  X