Clear All

Well what is the verdict?

Comment

Looks pretty young to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IMHO, still high and tight.

Some deer are just bigger than others.

We had one for years that was HUGE, like +30-50 lbs easy larger than our average mature deer. He was a ghost and someone finally got him at the ripe young ave of 8-9. Always had a sub-par 110”-120” pencil thin 8-point rack his whole life.

Comment

Hope the OP doesn’t mind, but for those saying look at the teeth I’m curious how old you think this deer was? This was my first Nebraska buck and looked old in the hoof to me but his rack was small, especially for the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
            Photo of teeth?
            Originally posted by butleryn
            You can find out according to teeth. Don't you have a photo? But I'd say it looks young.
            Unfortunately all the teeth will show is an age according to "the book". Really has no bearing on how old the deer actually was. To an extent anyway.

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
            Hope the OP doesn’t mind, but for those saying look at the teeth I’m curious how old you think this deer was? This was my first Nebraska buck and looked old in the hoof to me but his rack was small, especially for the area.

Those teeth show pretty young. But who knows. Teeth can be horribly inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
              Unfortunately all the teeth will show is an age according to "the book". Really has no bearing on how old the deer actually was. To an extent anyway.

Thanks Chance. It probably was a young buck and I just have zero experience with Nebraska deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post

Pretty sure I remember reading something a while back that over 50% or more of the “teeth aging” was inaccurate.

Comment

Post 24 showed him in 2018 when we first got on our place and I had him at 3.5. 2019 is when I started thinking he was post mature, and then in 2020 when he was harvested his body condition was declining which seemed awfully strange for a minimum 5.5 year old based on the previous few years age estimates.

Who knows. I’m still going to take a look at his teeth. Have to take him to a taxidermist since my buddy who was going to do the euro for me isn’t in town anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbradford View Post
                    Pretty sure I remember reading something a while back that over 50% or more of the “teeth aging” was inaccurate.
                    Was a study done by CKWI. I believe it was about 40% accurate in their study they did.

Worn knees is one of many ways to identify older deer.

Had a biologist say deer age like people. ‘The older they get, the loser their skin gets.’ Yet another way to evaluate.

Not saying I am an expert, just pointing out there are a bunch of things you can look at.
                    Last edited by Greenheadless; 08-30-2021, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      Was a study done by CKWI. I believe it was about 40% accurate in their study they did.

Worn knees is one of many ways to identify older deer.

Had a biologist say deer age like people. ‘The older they get, the loser their skin gets.’ Yet another way to evaluate.

Not saying I am an expert, just pointing out there are a bunch of things you can look at.
                      Oh I agree absolutely. This deer just threw me off. Definitely could have been below post mature, I just don’t think he was “young”, as in 4.5 or less. I don’t feel bad for harvesting him. The 2018 pictures didn’t scream 2.5 year old to me.

Comment

I would say anything 9+ to be post mature. If a deer is post mature he should have loose skin hanging. He will have calluses on his front knees also. His hawks will be really stained from years of pissing on them. Not a biologist this is what I've seen from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
                          I would say anything 9+ to be post mature. If a deer is post mature he should have loose skin hanging. He will have calluses on his front knees also. His hawks will be really stained from years of pissing on them. Not a biologist this is what I've seen from experience.
                          Maybe I had a bad definition of post mature. Don’t know if I’ve ever even seen a 9+ year old deer. When you look at post 24 (2018), post 1 was 2019, post with the LDP’s was 2020, I guess I just can’t fit a 3-4 year old into the box.

Comment

Don't think so

Comment

Originally posted by lilbradford View Post
                              Maybe I had a bad definition of post mature. Don’t know if I’ve ever even seen a 9+ year old deer. When you look at post 24 (2018), post 1 was 2019, post with the LDP’s was 2020, I guess I just can’t fit a 3-4 year old into the box.
                              Yeah that's the bad thing about hunting west Texas and the hill country. Most deer will never reach the age of 6+. I hunted there most of my life. Started hunting Mexico 4 years ago. All I can say is wow what a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X