Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best ( or adaquate ) 3 blade broadhead ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like my muzzy three bladed fixed blades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You will probably get every answer in the world about what head is the best and why some are better than others. Broadheads are a world of give and take. Here are some things to remember:
      1. Broadheads with vented blades (Muzzy, Thunderheads, Magnus Stingers and buzz cuts) generally make more noise in flight than a non-vented broadhead. Sometimes more, sometimes a lot more. Non vented broadheads would be like the Exodus, the new SS3 from Slicktrick, and the G5 Montec M3.

2. The shorter the length of the broadhead the less mechanical advantage it has. Meaning that the steepness of the blade angle has to be greater because the length overall is shorter. Many traditional heads with the greatest mechanical advantage were 3 inches long and only 1 inch cut diameter. You can imagine that the angle of that blade would be significantly less steep than one that is only 3/4 long but is over and 1 cutting diameter. This means that the force exerted to cut the same tissue is greater on the more steep blade angle.

3. Cut on contact heads are probably ideal but some broadheads use impact resistant tips like a Trocar tip to reinforce themselves for impact against hard surfaces. In a general sense, a blade that hits first is not going to be as durable as a tempered tip designed to hit things hard. (A Magnus stinger vs a QAD Exodus) This does typically inhibit a broadheads cutting tissue since you are sacrificing a portion of your surface area to punching instead of slicing.

4. Three blades are generally harder to sharpen if the blades are not removable. The reason for this is the blades on either side of the blade you are trying to hone interfere with achieving an ideal cutting angle. Replaceable blade heads help to remedy this problem (i.e. Muzzy, QAD, Wasp drones) but they are generally less durable than an all one piece head.

Here are some things I seriously prioritize:
      1. I want a blade really sharp. I mean, really sharp.
      2. I want quiet flight. My theory is deer react as much to arrow flight as they do string or bow noise.
      3. I don’t want disposable broadheads. Even though we are talking about an affordable price range, I shoot a lot of hogs and I don’t want to basically flush $10 every time I do. Most of the time a ticker blade (minimum of .04) is an indicator of durability but the quality of steel plays into this too.
      4. Availability is also something to consider. Some of these broadheads are very easy to find. Others aren’t. That can be problematic when your in a pinch.
      5. I prefer to avoid aluminum on any fixed blade broadhead. It just tends to be the weak link in the chain.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X