No announcement yet.

Chisel Plow Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We chisel plow our row crop fields every couple of years and it helps big time. Our corn yields are substantially higher. No question it would be great for your food plots. Try to get at least 18 inches deep.

Comment

I'd go with a coulter chisel. Chisel plows take lots of horsepower for sure.

Comment

In right soil they work great..In wrong rocky soill they hit you in back of with ROCKS

Comment

We have a 65hp tractor. i'm sure that it would do the job with the king kutter chisel plow, but if you don't think it's worth it for fall food plots (cereal grains), then we won't worry about it.

What is a coulter chisel?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            We have a 65hp tractor. i'm sure that it would do the job with the king kutter chisel plow, but if you don't think it's worth it for fall food plots (cereal grains), then we won't worry about it.

you will trash the king kutter with that big of tractor. My 40 hp takes it to the limit...

I would look for an older heavy duty used on..maybe craigslist.

Comment

It has Coulter in front of the chisels to cut debris. Keeps the plow from getting fouled with debris and turning it into a big dirt scoop you are dragging behind your tractor.

Our soil is totally different down here on the upper coast though.

Comment

Pictures of Plots & Equipment

The main reason I'm asking about the chisel plow is because we want to try to get better results than what we got this past year. This past year was our first attempt at planting and I think we learned a lot. We tried to do everything in one weekend, which was a mistake on our part. I just want to make sure that you guys think we don't need any other equipment to have successful fall food plots - oats and wheat. As you can see in the pictures below, our soils aren't great and I'm sure there are a lot of rocks 8 to 10inches into the soil so i don't know if a chisel plow would just stir them up or if it's even needed to do a fall food plot. I apologize for all the questions, I just want to make sure that we have all the equipment we need to use and try to get some pointers from you guys on how to make a nice food plot.

Food Plot Equipment:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9541 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24498221

Name:	IMG_9565 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	24498222
                We also have a 6ft drag harrow

Food Plots we planted this past fall:
                NW Corner Field (4 acres):

Name:	NW Corner Field.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	24498224

Name:	NW Corner Field (2).jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	24498223

Middle Field (1 acre strip):

Name:	Middle Field (1).jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	24498225

Name:	Middle Field (2).jpg
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	24498226

Potential New Food Plot Locations:

Name:	Potential Food Plot Location (1).jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24498227

Name:	Potential Food Plot (South Field).jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24498228

As you can see, our disk didn't do a great job in the NW corner field in some spots where there was thick grass. Maybe it was too dry when we disked which didn't allow us to get down a little deeper. Maybe if we angle the front disks down more and add 300lbs or so to the disk it will allow us to get a little more cutting action. Anyway, I would really appreciate your input on if you guys think we need any other equipment to plant fall food plots for our type of soils or if we can get by with what we have. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with a chisel plow similar to the King Kutter one shown below:
                  [ATTACH]857459[/ATTACH]

Currently, we have a 6ft Armstrong Ag disc harrow, but I was thinking that it would be better for us to use a chisel plow on our fields in early September, let it sit for a couple of weeks and then run our disc over it to chop it all up. I thought it might be more beneficial for us to get down deeper to break up the soil a little more to allow rain to soak in deep. These are for fall food plots (oats, wheat, rye and other). I wasn't sure if this chisel plow would hold up or not for our part of Texas (Menard County). Curious to get yalls thoughts on using a chisel plow and if it would help our success rate or not.
                  That's a cultivator not a chisel plow.

Comment

If you have any kind of grass they don't do very well. If the grass has been cut they act like a big rake! They do not cut the hard ground very well. You will need to break the ground with a breaking plow.

Comment

Originally posted by clffrdfdge View Post
                      That's a cultivator not a chisel plow.
                      A lot of people use those for both uses and use different points on it to get different results. Call it whatever word you want to call it.

Comment

Chisel Plow Question

I am no expert but we are in our second year to plant food plots and we have used a 3-bottom plow on new food plots. We usually spray the existing vegetation with Gly, Plow 2 weeks later and then disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Chisel plow, that 65 hp tractor will pull a 5 shank plow That cultivator probably will pull apart in the soil you got pics of. Although it might work.

I would not plow, just use your disc with some added weight. This is my rig and it cuts good. You can plant radishes and beets in the winter to help loosen compacted soil. Two passes with this disc and its good to go. Also Drycreek is very knowledgeable about this stuff and can give more advice.
                          Last edited by Radar; 07-20-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X