Protein question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein question

I have been feeding Antlermax for the past 3 years. This year I decided to switch to Double Down. The deer have been hitting it hard and I'm happy with it. My problem with it, is the closest place to buy DD is about a 45 min drive one way. My protein feeder is out and don't really have the time this week to go get anymore DD. My main question is, is it a bad idea to switch protein at this time? My local feed store has antlermax in stock so I can have in filled this weekend, or should I just wait till I can pick up some more DD?

Get the antler max and fill the feeders.

Comment

That's was I was thinking for this time of the year. I just didn't know if it would mess up the deer are not!!

thanks

Comment

You're probably gonna lose 20" in bone this cycle since you dont have that DD out, but it'll buff out

Comment

I would advise not to. Trust me, not a good idea to change feed in middle of antler growing cycle ! Read my posts on the other DD thread.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
            You're probably gonna lose 20" in bone this cycle since you dont have that DD out, but it'll buff out
            x2!!

Feed DD if you want to add 40 inches

Comment

Another thread on here says do not switch.

Comment

Never mind just saw his post.

Comment

I don't see a problem with switching. On our lease people feed different protein feeds and deer go back and forth from other stand locations. I say just keep it full no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                    I would advise not to. Trust me, not a good idea to change feed in middle of antler growing cycle ! Read my posts on the other DD thread.
                    Well hopefully we do not have this issue. We started with alderman cave protein in January. I filled up a 2,000 lb feeder at 1 spot then got turned onto another protein (moormans) by a buddy of mine who is an outfitter in south Texas. So I set a 300 lb feeder up at the same spot to see which one they hit better. They have been hitting the moormans a lot harder than the alderman cave. Problem is I have a 2,000 lb feeder half full of it that is still free choice to the deer so they can eat both if they choose too. Moormans is by far the better option for the deer with the mineral package that it includes so I'm sticking with that. Do you think I'm screwing up giving deer access to both types of protein. I'm waiting for the big feeder to go dry so I can stick with 1 protein.
                    Last edited by baseball4; 05-26-2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I found a place that sells it about 30 miles from my house. If they are open tomorrow, I'll swing by and pick some up. It has been empty for almost a week. I'll pick up some antlermax if this other place is closed!!

Comment

Buy the Purina. I switch all the time. Deer don't skip a beat.
                        Baseball4: I would dump any feed that has been out for more than 2 months. IMO there is something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                          Buy the Purina. I switch all the time. Deer don't skip a beat.
                          Baseball4: I would dump any feed that has been out for more than 2 months. IMO there is something wrong.
                          Problem is it's still half full. Well last time I checked. Not sure how full it is now. Our deer didn't hammer the protein till just now. Took them a while to get going on it. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
                          X