flying with handgun and ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flying with handgun and ammo

I haven't flown with a handgun in a long time and I am getting mixed answers online. I want to fly with a handgun on AA. I know I need to put it in a locked hard sided box and put it in my checked suit case. Does the suitcase need to be locked too? In the past you couldn't have ammo in the same box/suitcase. I see some places now that say you can have ammo in the same box/suitcase if in a factory box... . Which is it? Ammo or no ammo in box/suitcase? I know I need to declare it with the check in lady.

What else do I need to know?

From their website hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
      I haven't flown with a handgun in a long time and I am getting mixed answers online. I want to fly with a handgun on AA. I know I need to put it in a locked hard sided box and put it in my checked suit case. Does the suitcase need to be locked too? In the past you couldn't have ammo in the same box/suitcase. I see some places now that say you can have ammo in the same box/suitcase if in a factory box... . Which is it? Ammo or no ammo in box/suitcase? I know I need to declare it with the check in lady.

What else do I need to know?
      You’ve always been allowed to have the ammo in the same suitcase, just not in the gun case. Now I haven’t traveled by air in a couple of years so I suppose something may have changed but I did travel a lot in the past and rarely had any problems.

Comment

Make sure you can lock your suit case too. I used a cable lock that I attached to the inside frame. I took two separate lock boxes one with pistols and the other contained boxes of ammo. Smooth sailing no problems and that's because the lady at the desk obviously hated guns.

Comment

And get there early and declare it so the cops can clear it and hassle you about your gun case. If locked they can pry it open enough to tough your weapon, it won't clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
            And get there early and declare it so the cops can clear it and hassle you about your gun case. If locked they can pry it open enough to tough your weapon, it won't clear.
            Don't let this guy scare you, follow what the TSA website says and you'll be fine.

Comment

I fly often on American and it is easy. When you check the bag, you will need to declare your firearm. They will fill out a form for you to sign and ask you to show the weapon in the locked case. TSA will scan it, you often times have to wait by TSA and get an all clear, but each airport is different. I keep my ammo in the hard plastic box it was sold in. Not sure if cardboard boxes would work, never tried.

American will tag the bag with a red tag. You will have to show your ID to a baggage claims agent in order to receive it.

All in all, it’s really not that complicated. It maybe adds 15 mins to the total check in AND baggage claim time

Comment

Check on AA’s website. I do believe they require ammo to be in it’s original packaging.

TSA has their rules and AA has their interpretation of those rules. I once had an AA agent tell me that all of the lock holes on the case had to have a lock. I disagreed and we walked down to TSA where she was proven wrong.

Also had an 80# TSA agent able to slip her hand into my locked case with locks on. She called upstairs to a supervisor who let it through. Went to short shanked locks after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is definitely airport specific. I have breezed through some I've been treated like a criminal and others. You can also add nuts to your lock shanks to reduce the play. Rather than buying new locks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Last time I flew I used a metal handgun case. I guess the TSA couldn't scan it so they called me to the front to get my combo to the lock. Can it be a plastic case?

Comment

Last time I flew I used a metal handgun case. I guess the TSA couldn't scan it so they called me to the front to get my combo to the lock. Can it be a plastic case?
                      Yes. It just has to be locked

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                        It is definitely airport specific. I have breezed through some I've been treated like a criminal and others. You can also add nuts to your lock shanks to reduce the play. Rather than buying new locks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                        I had a newbie United employee at the Missoula airport once. She didn't have any clue what she was doing and didn't know how to check me in with a firearm. It was early, and apparently there were no other employees in the back. After about 10 minutes she gave up, got on her radio and said "Can I get some help please? This guy has a gun".

I just knew I was about to get tazed.

Comment

Mine is metal, and I’ve never had to unlock it for TSA. I think their new scanners are more powerful

Comment

It is also a good idea to leave your actions open and mags removed (or bottom plates open) just so that there is no question they aren’t loaded. I’ve always had my ammo in the same locked case (double skb), just kept the ammo in a box/package within the case.

I prefer to bring a pistol on bow hunts as it requires me to lock my case. I’ve been required to remove the locks when traveling with only my bow. I prefer to be there if they are handling my gear and I’d rather go show my ID to pick up my bow than have it laying around with general baggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Go to whatever airline's website that you are flying and print their rules. Put them in your pocket because sometimes those people behind the counter don't know them.

Comment

Working...
                              X