Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use a brick and 20 pound mono

Comment

I've never done the float method, need to try that out though. I usually use 1lb spider weights and have used the brick and light mono method a few times. They all work though.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
        I've never done the float method, need to try that out though. I usually use 1lb spider weights and have used the brick and light mono method a few times. They all work though.
        My floats are simple 2 or 3 liter bottles painted orange and half filled with expand a foam. Thread 200lb mono into a small hole in the cap and tie a bolt to it. Stuff the bolt into the bottle before adding the foam. When the foam sets, the bolt will act as an anchor for the line. Super glue the cap onto the bottle. I use about 20ft of line, which is stored inside the bottle.
        After I drop my bait, I clip my float line close to the main line on my leader. Float line will play out on its own.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
          My floats are simple 2 or 3 liter bottles painted orange and half filled with expand a foam. Thread 200lb mono into a small hole in the cap and tie a bolt to it. Stuff the bolt into the bottle before adding the foam. When the foam sets, the bolt will act as an anchor for the line. Super glue the cap onto the bottle. I use about 20ft of line, which is stored inside the bottle.
          After I drop my bait, I clip my float line close to the main line on my leader. Float line will play out on its own.

I like that, I think it was Poco that told me about doing that but I've never done it myself. I'm gonna have to try that.

Comment

I like that, Poco told me about doing that but I've never done it myself. I'm gonna have to try that.
            It's awesome when your line gets cut by smaks and the like. Just paddle back out and retie. Also helps to spread out baits. You can see where your last one was dropped

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
              It's awesome when your line gets cut by smaks and the like. Just paddle back out and retie. Also helps to spread out baits. You can see where your last one was dropped

Sounds like a win/win situation right there, I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Saves alot of money when you aren't losing the rigs and weights and bait.

Comment

So do yall think straight mono but like 700 will be good enough not to use steel at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                  So do yall think straight mono but like 700 will be good enough not to use steel at all?

I use 480lb mono on most of my rigs but I'm only targeting sharks 4 to 7 foot. Have only been cut off twice out of well North of 50 landed. With circle hooks 90% of the time none of that mono leader is going to end up inside the jaws so you really only need to be concerned about body rub. Use a leader 2x the length of the biggest shark you think you'll encounter. Bulls especially will roll up in the leader and if they touch your shock leader/main line they're gone.

Comment

I'll stick with steel. On a boat, mono will probably work 99.9% of the time. But on the sand, things are different. Too much time and work involved to have that one monster fish get off due to a mono leader. May have a lesser chance of a pickup, but a greater chance a keeping a hookup.
                    Pulling back or to the side of a fish has different dynamics than pulling up. That's why our gear is so extreme. Simply said, carrying a 100lb sack 50 yards is so much easier than dragging it the same distance

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      August was always one of my favorite months for shark fishing years ago when I was really into it. I caught this 8' long 171# Scalloped Hammerhead at San Luis Pass in August 1988. I didn't know it at the time but it was a State record for few weeks until Billy Sandifer caught a 195# at Padre.

I was fishing a surf tournament and it took first place beating a 7' long 168# Bull.

My favorite bait was live mullet as big as I could get, and I put as many on the hook as I could fit. I usually used several hooks on the last 24" of a 20' long 1/8" steel cable attached to 80# Trilene Big Game mono. I had 13 big mullet on for bait when I caught that Hammerhead...looked like a lost stringer of fish.

Sharks have a great sense of smell, but they have an AMAZING sense of electro-reception. They can sense LIVE bait even when they are upcurrent, unlike the dead bait most fishermen use.
                      So whats the story behind the Raccoon in the picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                        I use 480lb mono on most of my rigs but I'm only targeting sharks 4 to 7 foot. Have only been cut off twice out of well North of 50 landed. With circle hooks 90% of the time none of that mono leader is going to end up inside the jaws so you really only need to be concerned about body rub. Use a leader 2x the length of the biggest shark you think you'll encounter. Bulls especially will roll up in the leader and if they touch your shock leader/main line they're gone.
                        Same experience here, probably 80-120 sharks over the years on mono leaders and circle hooks all from the sand or jetty. It's not about the strength of the line it's about the circle hook grabbing the corner of the mouth, the line has to be big enough to withstand tail whacking and skin abrasion. I had one trip, one specific trip, where we had 4 leaders bitten through and have no idea why except maybe a much larger than normal shark cruising in the area and I didn't have any of my large combos with us that trip. Aside from that one trip I can't recall another time we ever lost anything to a mono leader. Having said that, I have steel cable with big J hooks when we break out the rigging needle for targeting large sharks.
                        Last edited by justletmein; 07-24-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          Same experience here, probably 80-120 sharks over the years on mono leaders and circle hooks all from the sand or jetty. I had one trip, one specific trip, where we had 4 leaders bitten through and have no idea why except maybe a much larger than normal shark cruising in the area. Aside from that one trip I can't recall another time we ever lost anything to a mono leader. Having said that, I have steel cable with big J hooks when we break out the rigging needle for targeting large sharks.
                          Just don't get caught with those J hooks.

Comment

Just don't get caught with those J hooks.
                            Oh it's been a few years, haven't even looked up the regulation changes. I lost interest in beach sharking once I started on a fish camp out of POC, much more interested in chasing trout out there in the surf. We just do some small sharking on casting rigs now when the kids want to play around and soak bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
                              So whats the story behind the Raccoon in the picture?
                              That was my friend's pet coon. Curious little critter got into anything that smelled like fish.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                Oh it's been a few years, haven't even looked up the regulation changes. I lost interest in beach sharking once I started on a fish camp out of POC, much more interested in chasing trout out there in the surf. We just do some small sharking on casting rigs now when the kids want to play around and soak bait.
                                I hear you brother, the new Regs make no sense to me. I love getting out there early and paddling out some big baits and then hitting the surf for some of those big yellow mouths while I wait for that clicker to go off.

Comment

Working...
                                X