Max Feed Pen Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max Feed Pen Height

Recently installed a circular protein pen at my new deer lease in South Texas. I used ten 16' long by 50" tall cattle panels for my protein pen. I would typically cut a few sections down but my main goal was to keep hungry cows out, so I left them as is. I have been successful so far, even though they still come and hang out at the edge of the pen from time to time. However, I have had very little luck getting deer to jump in.

My question is: How much can I cut the panels down to get deer to jump in, yet still keep the cows out?

Pulled up to a feed pen one day with intentions to fill the feeder. As my friend and I pulled up a big cow walked up, stopped right in front of us, eyed us for a minute then casually hoped over a 5' fence like it was nothing. She turned around and again just stared at us as if to ask where's the corn. We were stunned, then she hopped back out and just watched us fill the feeder. We had several photos of her in the pen. I guess the owner finally sold her.

Comment

The next week she figured out the key pad combination to my truck and took all my corn nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
        Pulled up to a feed pen one day with intentions to fill the feeder. As my friend and I pulled up a big cow walked up, stopped right in front of us, eyed us for a minute then casually hoped over a 5' fence like it was nothing. She turned around and again just stared at us as if to ask where's the corn. We were stunned, then she hopped back out and just watched us fill the feeder. We had several photos of her in the pen. I guess the owner finally sold her.
        It honestly wouldn't surprise me. It apparently has been an issue on this place in the past and I'm trying to not to lose thousands of dollars/pounds worth of protein to some cows. But then again, I need the deer to jump in and actually eat it.

Comment

I’m surprised the cows aren’t jumping the panels as is. I like to build a pen with 12 34” hog panels. Then I’ll build a 3 strand barb wire fence 20-30ft around the outside of that. No more cows if it’s done right. Getting it down be right can be a challenge if you’re not doing it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
            I’m surprised the cows aren’t jumping the panels as is. I like to build a pen with 12 34” hog panels. Then I’ll build a 3 strand barb wire fence 20-30ft around the outside of that. No more cows if it’s done right. Getting it down be right can be a challenge if you’re not doing it yourself.
            They definitely think about it. I've got numerous trail cam pics of 15-20 cows just sitting there at the edge of the pen just staring at the protein feeder. Some even lay down and sleep. For some of the bigger ones, the top of the 50" panel is just below the highest part of their backs. I have cellular trail cameras up so I can monitor it daily but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before one of them is brave enough to make the jump.

Comment

The last one I built was a 50' circular pen made of (10) 50"x16' cattle panels. I cut out the top 8" row about 6' wide in (4) places, that's where the vast majority of the deer jumped in. T-posts were every 8', & this pen fended off (10) 1.5yo registered bulls and all the pigs that were bigger than a house cat.

Comment

I've never had cows jump my cattle panels. I even cut some spots lower so I can step in without opening the gate. When the deer get hungry enough, they will jump in. It's so green at our place in Llano, the corn will sprout before the critters will eat it.

Comment

Not sure how big your pens are, but I like them big, mine are 22 panels(hog) big. 1 of my pens I have a three strand fence around it, it comes to about a 1/2 acre of fence. I like this one the best. Another I have a rectangular shaped pen with barbed wire 10 inches above the hog panel.

I think your cattle panels will work fine but I would make it as big as possible. Our feed consumption went to zero with all the recent rains we’ve hade here in south Texas.

Comment

5 wire fence is going to be 52” high (give or take), deer shouldn’t have a problem getting in a pen with 50” panels. If they’re 5’ panels (60”) it will make a difference. As for the cows, if they’re hungry, good luck. If you have jumper, she’s going to jump.

Comment

pen seems big enough, I would think It has more to do with how much rain and natural food they are grazing on now.

Comment

40-42” is perfect. And make it as big as you can afford. And round.

Comment

Working...
                        X