Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canny View Post
    Link posted in #8.

ATVs, ROVs, UTVs and Sand Rails with an Off-Highway Vehicle license plate may be operated on roads in the following situations:

In a master planned community with a uniform set of restrictive covenants and a county or municipality-approved plat

On a road with a posted speed limit of not more than 35 mph, during the daytime and not more than two miles from the location where it is usually parked for transportation to and from a golf course

To cross intersections, including a road or street that has a posted speed limit of more than 35 mph.

Additionally, cities and certain counties may authorize operation of ATVs, ROVs, UTVs, and Sand Rails on roads within the boundaries of the city or within unincorporated areas of certain counties. The ATV, ROV, UTV and Sand Rail must display an Off-Highway Vehicle license plate when operated on roads authorized by the city or county. Operation may be authorized only on roads with a speed limit of 35 mph or less. If operated on the roads at a speed of 25 mph or less, an ATV, ROV, UTV and Sand Rail is required to display a slow-moving vehicle emblem.
    Thanks for the info. When did that law pass?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
      Thanks for the info. When did that law pass?
      Back in early March I think

Comment

“And not more than two miles from the location where it is usually parked for transportation to and from a golf course”.

You can try it but I bet somebody stops you. I’m down there quite a bit at Surfside, and I’ve not ever seen a UTV on the beach. Their rules page states any vehicle that’s not street legal can’t drive on the beach. I don’t care what you do, it would just suck to drag it down there for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          “And not more than two miles from the location where it is usually parked for transportation to and from a golf course”.

You can try it but I bet somebody stops you. I’m down there quite a bit at Surfside, and I’ve not ever seen a UTV on the beach. Their rules page states any vehicle that’s not street legal can’t drive on the beach. I don’t care what you do, it would just suck to drag it down there for nothing.
          No I understand, the only question I have is their rules state that ATVs are not allowed but then they say any vehicles that are not street-licensed are not legal. Putting an OHV plate on a SXS makes it street licensed. Its just a question that I am trying to reach out to someone in the know down there to get a clear answer to. I don't have to take the SXS, but if its now legal to do so then I will.

All-terrain vehicles are not allowed on the beach. Any vehicles that are not street-licensed are not legal. Licensed and insured golf carts are permitted on the drive-on beach only. Drivers of golf carts must possess a driver’s license.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            No I understand, the only question I have is their rules state that ATVs are not allowed but then they say any vehicles that are not street-licensed are not legal. Putting an OHV plate on a SXS makes it street licensed. Its just a question that I am trying to reach out to someone in the know down there to get a clear answer to. I don't have to take the SXS, but if its now legal to do so then I will.

All-terrain vehicles are not allowed on the beach. Any vehicles that are not street-licensed are not legal. Licensed and insured golf carts are permitted on the drive-on beach only. Drivers of golf carts must possess a driver’s license.
            I think, that you’re thinking that if you have the plate, you can go on any road under 35mph, that is not the case, only within two miles of your house. The OHV plate doesn’t make your UTV street legal, only to drive on certain roads in certain situations.

Comment

I’m thinking the tires have to be highway type tread also!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                I’m thinking the tires have to be highway type tread also!
                I got truck tires on my Ranger so I’m good there. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  I think, that you’re thinking that if you have the plate, you can go on any road under 35mph, that is not the case, only within two miles of your house. The OHV plate doesn’t make your UTV street legal, only to drive on certain roads in certain situations.
                  Maybe I am reading it differently but based on DMVs info it doesn't necessarily have to be within 2 miles of you house if the city permits it.

Additionally, cities and certain counties may authorize operation of ATVs, ROVs, UTVs, and Sand Rails on roads within the boundaries of the city or within unincorporated areas of certain counties. The ATV, ROV, UTV and Sand Rail must display an Off-Highway Vehicle license plate when operated on roads authorized by the city or county. Operation may be authorized only on roads with a speed limit of 35 mph or less

I'm sure the answer will still be no, I just want to find out for sure. No biggie either way.

Comment

Correct, if it is authorized. If you want to UTV on a beach, Matagorda will let you, just have to buy a beach permit but I promise you a Ranger will rust away quick with moderate beach use. I would never take mine on a beach.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Just picked up my OHV plate yesterday for my 4 wheeler for $10. Drove around yesterday for about an hour trying to get pulled over. Nothing.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve reached out to the chief of police a couple times and no response. I’ll be leaving mine here when we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X