No announcement yet.

Big Life Decision (Lost on what to do)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like mentioned before, you were offered a career you dreamed of having. DO NOT PASS THAT UP..

My wife's former boss was 20+ years in the Air Force, retired and he started an insurance business upon retirement, he sold it after another 20 years. He liked what he did, built it up and never looked back.

If you can enjoy what you are doing and the offer is there, take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
      I’ll say this…If your life is going according to plan, then something is bad wrong. And, God has a sense of humor.

Life itself is “uncertainty”

“Get busy living, or get busy dying”
      Well there's that too...[emoji16]

The truth is there is a plan and no uncertainty at all. And I know you know this. God has a plan and it's all spelled out for us. I know for certain that He will alway provide for me If I'm serving Him. I know the world is headed for destruction and can't be stopped and we have two places to choose from to spend eternity. Short of spreading the good news, everything else we do while here is window dressing. So when I say uncertainty in the private sector I simply mean it as more of a comparison between two "uncertain" things. I look at my current career as being provided to me by God and am very thankful for His provision. Unless I felt Him calling me to leave it for something else, I will stay where I am and serve Him the best I can while there. If something happens and I lose this job, I will still trust in Him to provide and it may not look like what I'm used to or comfortable with. There is always certainty in the Lord even when there isn't in the world.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by rolylane6; 05-18-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Every troop that has ever asked my advice on the subject for the last 37 years I tell them (if) they are planning to make the military a career which can be a good thing especially where medical benefits are concerned (elimination of mucho worry) then they need to spend every single day preparing for their retirement at twenty years. That means moving where the cost of living is low, family considerations, medical, what you want to do in your second life, and the rest of life’s considerations.

Moral of the story, don’t get caught with your pants down and take what looks like (at first) the EASY ROAD.

“Change your world”

Comment

I wouldn’t expect the pilot positions to dry up over the next 10 years. Many commercial pilots are aging out and last I heard there was a large gap in new blood coming in to fill those roles. COVID likely contributed to more than the average taking an early retirement package too. For the qualifying flight attendants it certainly did.

Easy for me to speak on this not knowing you or the true life commitments required, but I’d take the almost sure bet with the Masters and building the government retirement. Airlines will still be around afterwards and just as the Air Force is supposedly hurting for new pilots I think that same will be true for the airlines.

Comment

Stay put! Hands down. Get the masters and the experience. We still have 3.5 years left of Joe Biteme, and if the country still hasn’t come to their collective senses 4 years of the AWOL Cummala. If I had it to do all over again I would have been a lifer in the Air Force hands down. Im proud of my service in the Marines but hindsight is always 20/20. You know what to do Fly Guy! Now do it!
            Semper Fi!
            Last edited by Hogmauler; 05-18-2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I think Covid has shown all of us how fast thigs can change and how easy sectors of society with specific agenda can control it. To think they wont try it again is crazy. I'd stick with the Military.

Comment

I had a similar decision I made last year. Not military and flying, but doing something I loved to do and making less money or transition to a job I knew nothing about with a higher ceiling on what I could bring home for my family. I chose to make more money. As of now I am extremely happy with my decision. It kind of feels like I was betting on my self and thus far have won. Doing what you love is great, but you have to do what is best for your family either way.

Comment

It will all depend on your motivation. Are you still motivated to put the uniform on and are willing to put in more time that you will not get back. Service to your country is already valued and exemplary, but I would think about the return on investment for both.

Comment

You've invested this much time into it...follow it through.
                    The positives seem greater staying in...not to mention your happiness.

Comment

It matters not what this forum tells you. What does your heart tell you.

Comment

If you change positions and wake up in the morning thinking "I hate my job" then no amount of money is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          Military sounds like the logical choice to me.

I would think a commercial airline pilot has the be one of the boringest job, especially on long flights.
                          Yea but what about all the hot stews. and bars when you are away?

Comment

Don't forget about the numbskulls running this country now, wanting to shut the airlines down.

Comment

Bud--all I can say is I stuck it to 30, didn't fly for the last9 years, but got to command and now when I hear all the folks struggling to make it I am so thankful I did, as I nearly retired as an LTC at 21 yrs.

It's worth it--moves and all--my wife and I have zero regrets. And since your wife is retiring, sounds like the thing to do is to stick it out.

Comment

Its really simple, deduct the value of your earned retirement at 20 then ADD the value of your earned Medical benefits. Then subtract that figure from your monetary compensation until 30 years and you’ll see you are working for maybe 1/3 of your worth for that next 10 years. Then after 30 you’ll draw a slightly larger retirement check which is way less than what you lost by not moving on to a civilian job and you’ll have the medical benefits that you ALREADY earned at 20 for less total years because you are going to die. Its a win-win for the government. Also, if the state you live in has tax or other incentives for veterans, that factors into the loss also if you remain active duty.

Unless receiving incentives and bonuses its a suckers bet to stay after eligible retirement at any employer.

Many folk retire at twenty, get a government job and retire at twenty, then take soc-sec at 62, some even get a VA disability paycheck on top of those. Heck, this is more than a 3 star general retires on after 30 years much less a lite Bird or full Bird.

If the person doesn’t view things monetarily, their choice.

Education is a suckers bet anymore, I know master plumbers that make more than the President.
                                Last edited by Johnny44; 05-18-2021, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X