Ceviche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceviche

Here is one that was requested on another thread. Its one I have pick up along the way.

Ceviche

1lb Trout or Redfish (Approx. 2 small fillets) – Scrape with a fork & remove membranes

Place fish in a glass bowl and add 4 oz of lemon juice and 4 oz of lime juice.
    Mix together and place in fridge for two hours.

Peel and chop 4 to 5 medium tomatoes
    Chop 1 to 2 large onions
    Half bottle of chopped salad olives
    1 can Old El Paso chopped green chilies
    2 ¾ teaspoons of salt
    1 teaspoon of oregano
    1 teaspoon of basil
    10 shakes of Tabasco

After fish has set in juice for two hours mix in the rest of the ingredients and put back in fridge for 12 hours.

I typically increase this recipe by just adding more fish. I have added 8 to 10 fillets to this recipe without changing a thing except for the amount of lemon & lime juice I use. You need to make sure you have enough to “cook” the amount of fish you use. You can’t use to much because if has too much liquid than just drain some off before you add the other ingredients.

Oh almost forgot, I don't care for olives so I have started adding capers instead.

I am looking forward to trying this recipe.

Have a GREAT day!

Thank you,

Comment

you think this would work with Marlin? I have alot of meat and have not found a way to cook it yet that pleases me.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe G.J. !!!!! As we speak , I''m eating a big ole bowl of it, made it with some orange roughy I have...

Pretty darn good!!

Comment

OK Gary, help me out here. First how do you pronounce "ceviche" and second do you cut the fish up, or just use the whole fillet. Third, do you put it on anything or just eat it as it is out of the bowl?

I know, I am a pinche gringo!

Comment

Diamond S
            Hope this link helps.
            http://m-w.com/dictionary/seviche

Yes you should dice the fish up first. I usually serve it up as a dip for chips or beer drinking crackers.
            Last edited by Skipshot; 12-05-2006, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Always goes good with beer crackers...........

Comment

Can I use hard heads?

Comment

Either a bag or a ½ bag of frozen farm raised catfish fillets from Sams.
                  Thaw out the fillets by letting them sit in the fridge till they almost thaw.
                  Fresh limes- it takes about 15 to make enough lime juice to cover ½ a bag of the fillets.
                  Cube up the fillets into about ½" cubes- throw it all in a covered non-metal bowl
                  or you can put it into ZipLock bags.
                  Leave it in the fridge for at least 4 hours- better if it’s 8 hrs.
                  to let the lime juice cook the fish.
                  Go to TacoCabana and buy 2- 16oz. containers of fresh Pico-Da-Gallo- $2 each
                  to make a batch from ½ bag of the fillets- I use 4-5- 16oz containers if I make up a batch from a whole bag of fillets.
                  Pick up some capers- if you like them ?? I add about 3-Tbls per ½-bag batch.
                  Drain the capers before you add them.

When/after the fish has cooked in the lime juice- drain out the lime juice before you add/stir in the Pico-Da-Gallo.

A whole bag of fillets & 4-5- 16oz containers of Pico makes about 1½ gallons of Ceviche. Enough for a pretty serious party.

The catfish makes the best ceviche I've ever had because the fish is firm and doesn't fall apart.

Comment

Working...
                  X