Any Gumbo Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Gumbo Recipes?

I see there are a few cajuns posting on here and thought yall might have a good recipe for gumbo. I usually like mine with shrimp, sausage and of course okra.
    I have never used file' but was thinking about getting some. I dont know where the heck to find a sassafrass tree to make it but I assume one can find it in stores.
    Any tips, recommendations and pointers would also be appreciated.

On a side note what is the technical differences between Gumbo and Etouffee???

On another side note, is it offensive to cajuns to be called "coon@ss"? or is it a pride thing like some folks and "redneck"? Just curious.

From my friends at Aurora's Catering back home in Louisiana...

Turkey and Andouille Gumbo
    Yield - 2 -1/4 Gallons or about 36 servings

Ingredients
    1 -1/2 CUPS PEANUT OIL
    2 -1/4 CUPS WHITE FLOUR (or use our Roux Recipe)
    4 CUPS ONIONS (Diced)
    2 CUPS CELERY (Chopped)
    1 CUP BELL PEPPER (Chopped)
    1/2 LB ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE (Sliced 1/4" thick and quartered)
    1/4 LB TASSO (Diced 1/4 inch cubes)
    1 TSP WHOLE THYME LEAFS
    1 TBSP GRANULATED GARLIC
    2 TSP RED PEPPER FLAKES
    1/2 TSP GROUND BLACK PEPPER
    2 TSP WHITE PEPPER
    2 CUPS TOMATO FILETS
    1 CUP DRY WHITE WINE
    1 GALLON TURKEY STOCK (See Recipe)
    3 LBS PULLED TURKEY MEAT (Diced into 1/2 inch pieces)
    1 BUNCH SHALLOTS (Chopped)

3 QUARTS CHICKEN STOCK RICE (See Recipe)

Method
    Use a 10 quart cast iron Dutch oven, over medium heat wait one minute then add the oil and flour. Whisk the roux constantly (seriously do not stop) for 30 to 40 minutes or until a dark chocolate color is obtained. OR follow my recipe for a Dark Colored - Basic Roux.
    Add the onions, celery and bell pepper and sauté in the roux for 15 minutes or until the onions just start to caramelize. Add the andouille, tasso, seasonings and tomato filets then sauté an additional 10 minutes. Slowly add the wine and turkey stock use a chef's spoon to completely mix all ingredients, bring the pot to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom of the pot from sticking. Add chopped shallots and serve.

Plate Presentation
    Use a flat-shallow 12 ounce bowl, mound 4 ounces of rice in the center and fill the sides with gumbo. Serve additional shallots and hot sauce on the side.

Chef's Notes:
    Gumbo is an easy recipe to prepare, however, many Cajun chef's garner their reputation from their gumbo recipe. Use this as a starting point and adjust to your own liking. But don't stray too far.
    Notice that there is no salt and little pepper in this recipe, this is because many stocks are naturally salty and seasoned. The addition of seasonings in a gumbo is a matter of taste. Adjust after cooking.

Comment

Gumbo

If you make seafood gumbo, start by boiling the shrimp heads in water and strain using this for your base liquid. You can also use fish bones to make your stock.

Comment

Well, I'm not a cajun but I married one -- and live in cajun country! In my opinion, the secret to a good gumbo is the roux and the stock. Of course there are about as many recipes for gumbo as there ae cajuns. Most cajun gumbos is this area do not use okra. That is more a creole thing. However, my wife makes what she calls an okra gumbo (always chicken and sausage) -- which has no roux. Instead of being thickened (and flavored) by a roux, it is thickened by okra -- and is quite good, but different from a roux gumbo. The okra (lots of it) is cooked down first in a little oil and then other ingredients are added and simmered for a while.

Comment

Chef John Folse in Louisiana makes a mean Gumbo.
          Here is his recipe:

Louisiana Seafood Gumbo
          PREP TIME: 1 Hour
          SERVES: 12

COMMENT:
          The premier soup of Cajun country, seafood gumbo, is known worldwide as the dish to seek out when visiting South Louisiana. There are as many recipes for this soup as there are people who cook it. This, however, is my favorite.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound (35-count) shrimp, peeled and de-veined
          1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
          2 dozen shucked oysters, reserve liquid
          3 quarts shellfish stock
          1 cup vegetable oil
          1 cup flour
          2 cups chopped onions
          1 cup chopped celery
          1 cup chopped bell pepper
          1/4 cup diced garlic
          1/2 pound sliced andouille sausage
          1 pound claw crabmeat
          2 cups sliced green onions
          1/2 cup chopped parsley
          salt and cayenne pepper
          Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce
          METHOD:
          In a 7-quart cast iron dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in flour and, using a wire whisk, stir constantly until brown roux is achieved. Do not allow roux to scorch. Should black specks appear in roux, discard and begin again. Once roux is golden brown, add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté approximately 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add andouille, blend well into vegetable mixture and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes. Add claw crabmeat and stir into roux. This will begin to add seafood flavor to the mixture. Slowly add hot shellfish stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly until all is incorporated. Bring to a low boil, reduce to simmer and cook approximately 30 minutes. Add additional stock if necessary to retain volume. Add green onions and parsley. Season to taste using salt, pepper and Louisiana Gold. Fold shrimp, lump crabmeat, oysters and reserved oyster liquid into soup. Return to a low boil and cook approximately 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve over cooked rice.

Comment

Here is one more we cook every year opening deer season at the farm. It sure is hard to keep a batch of teal breast that long but I do it every year and it makes one hell of a gumbo. Chef Folse again!

Smoked Duck, Oyster and Andouille Gumbo
            PREP TIME: 2 1/2 Hours
            SERVES: 6

COMMENT:
            During the Christmas season in Cajun Country, a hot bowl of gumbo awaits visitors at every home on Christmas Eve. The tradition of serving Louisiana's premier soup as the entree after midnight Mass dates back more than 200 years.

INGREDIENTS:

2 Long Island ducks, smoked and cut into serving pieces
            1 pint oysters
            1 pound sliced andouille
            1 cup vegetable oil
            1 1/4 cups flour
            2 cups chopped onions
            2 cups chopped celery
            1 cup chopped bell pepper
            1/4 cup diced garlic
            1 pint oyster liquor
            3 quarts chicken stock
            2 cups sliced green onions
            1 cup chopped parsley
            salt to taste
            cracked pepper to taste
            Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce to taste
            METHOD:
            In a two gallon stock pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add flour and using a wire whisk, stir constantly until roux is golden brown. Do not scorch. Should black specks appear, discard and begin again. Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté three to five minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add duck and andouille, blending into vegetable mixture. Add chicken stock and oyster liquor, one ladle at a time. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook approximately two hours. When duck is tender, add oysters and cook an additional ten minutes. Add green onions and parsley. Season to taste using salt, pepper and Louisiana Gold. Serve over steamed white rice.

Comment

Those sound like some very good receipes and I do enjoy some good gumbo. Hard to find the good stuff around here.

Comment

Originally posted by park5115 View Post
                I see there are a few cajuns posting on here and thought yall might have a good recipe for gumbo. I usually like mine with shrimp, sausage and of course okra.
                I have never used file' but was thinking about getting some. I dont know where the heck to find a sassafrass tree to make it but I assume one can find it in stores.
                Any tips, recommendations and pointers would also be appreciated.

On a side note what is the technical differences between Gumbo and Etouffee???

On another side note, is it offensive to cajuns to be called "coon@ss"? or is it a pride thing like some folks and "redneck"? Just curious.

recipe .... email me and i'll send you a recipe with pics ..... 17ln (at) bellsouth (dot) net

file' can be bought in stores around Acadiana for a few dollars ... if you need some, I can mail it to you

etoufee is an entree and gumbo is a soup or appetizer

etoufee'... the word “étouffée” means, literally, “smothered” or “suffocated”, from the verb “étouffer”.
                Etouffee is a Creole dish typically served with shellfish or chicken over rice.

The base of an étouffée is a blonde roux. It is usually seasoned with cayenne pepper, onions, green bell pepper and celery (a.k.a. the holy trinity), garlic, and salt and has a thicker consistency than gumbo. A crawfish étouffée usually has a reddish color due to the crawfish fat which is an important ingredient. In some areas it has become popular to add tomatoes or tomato paste to the dish. However, most purists believe that once tomatoes are added, the dish ceases to be a true étouffée, and instead becomes a stew. In many parts of the country, outside of Louisiana, people make étouffée with cream; however, cream should never be part of a true étouffée.

gumbo .... The main difference between a gumbo and an étouffée is that an étouffée is made with a “blonde roux” of butter and flour. Butter burns more easily than oil but can be used in a blonde roux since the roux is cooked to a beige or light brown color, instead of a typical Creole or Cajun roux, which is dark brown and made with oil and flour. Gumbo can be thickened by using file' or okra.

coon-*** .... is viewed as a negative connotation by older Cajun folks who were punished in school for speaking French. It is equivalent to the "N" word with certain Cajun generations. Basically, not wise to call someone a coon-*** when their grandfather is present.

Comment

I have used Paul Prudhommes recipe for gumbo, with and w/o file, but I do add a little extra spice and concentrate my stock quite a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    recipe
                    coon-*** .... is viewed as a negative connotation by older Cajun folks who were punished in school for speaking French. It is equivalent to the "N" word with certain Cajun generations. Basically, not wise to call someone a coon-*** when their grandfather is present.
                    Very well conveyed Cajun Blake

Comment

Working...
                    X