Seminole Canyon, Should I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seminole Canyon, Should I?

My husband and I were drawn for the Seminole Canyon GDE hunt. I have serious concerns about safety with all of the "immigrants" flowing through that area. I haven't paid for the permit yet and have until Sat. to decide. I am torn.

PM coming

Comment

My lease is a few miles from there and in 11 years, we've only had illegals in camp 2 or 3 times. I think the steep canyons of the rio grand and the Pecos keep them more towards Del Rio.
      It's beautiful out there and lots of deer, I would definitely go.
      Good luck!

Comment

yes

I have no experience with that area.....but I say DO IT !!

Comment

Personally, I'd do the hunt, even solo, if I was drawn. West of Del Rio is rough country for anyone much less illegals with no food or water.

If you have reservations about accepting the draw, why not call out to Seminole and find out from the folks who work there every day?

Comment

Do it.

Comment

Id do it

Comment

When I got drawn there about 6 years ago they told me that the terrain keeps a lot of them from crossing there. BUT one morning I was going into the park around 5AM and there were a bunch of Border Patrol there on horseback that was tracking a large group that was trying to evade them and went into the park. Go for the trip, as it is well worth seeing all of the deer, wildlife, terrain, etc.

Comment

What can you harvest. A spike and a doe. Depends on how hungry you are

Comment

Do it, lots of LEO in the area.
                    Real dangers are terrain and wildlife….and especially the vegetation!!!! Everything wants to poke stab or cut you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going on the anterless/spike hunt. I have no concerns. You'd have to be nuts to go digging around in a hunters camp while the hunters are there. Just make sure to take anything of value with you or put up real well when not in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        What can you harvest. A spike and a doe. Depends on how hungry you are
                        OP states GDE. Gun Deer Either Sex.

Comment

If go even if just a doe hunt.

That's one of the places I'd put high value in just hunting there for the experience.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went ahead and paid for the permits. I feel much better about going now.

Comment

My buddy and I got picked on the second draw for Seminole Canyon GDE and have paid for the permits. My first time for getting anything on second draw. I figure someone else had second thoughts and backed out, and I respect that. I've hunted there before and have never had any problems, or felt unsafe. I agree with 8th1 that the steep canyon walls on the Rio Grande make it an unlikely spot for crossing, but there is always a chance for an encounter if someone comes in off the roadway. I'm pretty sure TPWD would cancel the hunt if they felt there was any danger to the hunters.

Comment

Working...
                              X