Lubbock Texas Public Hunting Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubbock Texas Public Hunting Areas

I have a son a Lubbock Christian University. He loves to hunt. I was looking at the public hunting areas around there. There are a few and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this area.

He is talking to the campus police today about where he could store his gun since he is in the dorms. I told him years ago we kept them in the room, but I am sure this would not fly now days.

Just wondering if anyone had any input.

I grew up on the coast and hunting east, west, south and never hunted that area. I told him that we might look for a lease up that way just because we have never killed a Yankee Texas Deer.

Most of the public stuff is crp grasslands.it will hold quail, maybe a rare pheasant. Never heard a solid report of dove hunting. On wet years, like this, there will be some playas for duck, goose and crane

Good luck. I doubt the campus will allow him to store his weapons. I’m out in idalou, let me know if I can help in anyway

Comment

Same, I'm in Wolfforth. I'm an ACU alum but stole my wife from LCU. He'd be welcome to store at my house.

And I had to LOL a little at "public hunting" and "Lubbock" in the same sentence. Got nothing to add there.

Comment

I'm headed out there later today, I'm going to try and get a public dove hunt in sometime this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

Comment

How close is Lake Meredith from there? They've got a bunch of hunting land out there.

As for the campus, when my son was at A&M Kingsville he checked in his AR and shotgun with campus police and he'd just go pick it up when he was headed somewhere to use it. Can't get any better for secure safe storage.

Comment

He can also try Taylor Lakes. Deadline to apply is October 1.

Comment

I'm sure things have changed over the years. But, about 20yrs ago me and a buddy used to tear up the doves, ducks and geese. With a few rabbits and pheasants in the mix. We would drive around up by hale center and knock on doors to see if we could hunt. Would drop off some cleaned birds as payment.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                I'm sure things have changed over the years. But, about 20yrs ago me and a buddy used to tear up the doves, ducks and geese. With a few rabbits and pheasants in the mix. We would drive around up by hale center and knock on doors to see if we could hunt. Would drop off some cleaned birds as payment.
                Outfitters have ruined most of that unfortunately......

Comment

I knew some guys that used to bird hunt out by lake Allen Henry. I think it was public stuff. There is some around.

Comment

I’m in Lubbock. I’m sure we have some lease chores he can trade for the chance to shoot a doe and some hogs. Have him pm me and I’ll give him my number. I have some gun safe space open if he is in a jam there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                      I’m in Lubbock. I’m sure we have some lease chores he can trade for the chance to shoot a doe and some hogs. Have him pm me and I’ll give him my number. I have some gun safe space open if he is in a jam there as well.
                      Nice gesture right there sir!

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                        Cool move talltexasshoote, here’s wishing you good karma for offering to help out a young hunter.

Comment

Working...
                        X