No announcement yet.

Cub Scouts thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a den leader and scout master for my oldest son and now I have been recruited to be the committee chair for his Scout troop. Like others have said, the boys get out what the parents put in in Cub scouts. It's a great place for kids to learn about the outdoors. We were in west Houston and had alot of parents and kids that had never been camping. It's rewarding getting to help them grow and learn.
    Alot of what people are calling the scouts being woke has been major shifts from all of the cases against them from the past. There is continual training now for parents and two deep leadership in place to help keep the kids safe. It's a pain at times but understandable to not see kids harmed in the future.
    As far as girls joining I've talked with alot of leaders from other packs and troops. So far it's been a pretty good response from both parents and scouts. The reason came from alot of girls that wanted to go camping and do high adventure like the boys, but Girl scouts from what I've heard is pretty unorganized and the chances for girls to do that kind of stuff is very limited.
    The last I'll leave you with is that the boys get to do, learn, and experience alot of things that they won't really get the chance to otherwise. Just the high adventure trips alone can be amazing. The older boys this year went to Buffalo Trails Scout Ranch in west Tx and did a week long Horse back ride through the back country. The Cub Scouts is slow and kind of agonizing as an outdoor enthusiast, but scouts has been great so far. Just search around and look for an active pack or troop that is centered around the things you and your son love to do.

Comment

I say do both. Keep the boy busy!

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
        Talk with Texastaxi he is a scoutmaster.
        This. I believe your pack can opt out to let girls in if that is your phobia. Otherwise get involved and let him join instead of letting a bunch of girls control your actions about it. There is a lot of good going on in the program.

Comment

The parents will be far more a determining factor than whether girls are involved or not. Give it a try, if you have a good pack y’all will have a great time. If the parents are no good then it won’t matter if girls are in he pack or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got 2 Eagle sons. The second got his just as they became "woke" (leadership), adding girls, fondling boys, etc.

There is a new organization, Trails End (or Life?)I think it is, that
            started after the BSA BS. Should be easy to find it on google. It has a very similar structure, etc. In fact they transferred previous, work, honors, etc. from BSA when the started. They have Religious Organizations as sponsors. (i.e. churches) Where Moral Leadership can be a "thing" again. supported from THE TOP of the Organization. I don't know much about them, but would look into it if I were in your shoes.

Couple weeks from my son's final Court of Honor we were driving home sunday afternoon from the farm. There was an announcement on the radio of the latest BSA BS. I don't remember if it was gay leadership, adding girls, or which decision is was. But he said he didn't even want to finish and be associated with that. I told him he did his work before the "wokeness" and should complete is Eagle. He did.

Yes I was in leadership, but when there are a cpl dozen boys on an outing, which one is goin to bunk with, Johnny/Jenny? And how are you going to handle their problems once the tent is zipped up? .....What a mess!

Comment

The girls thing isn't as big off an issue as you'd think.
              Girls have been in boy scouts for decades through the ranger and venturing programs. I'm not real on board with it but understand why. That said I went to Philmomt twice with our young men and the second trip there were a lot of young ladies working the camps there. Most of them were as good or better ambassadors for scouting than much of the male staff.
              Every pack and troop is a little different. Find one with a direction and leadership that fall within what you appreciate and your son can have an experience that will help center and guide him for a lifetime.
              But honestly only 4% of kids who join scouts historically make Eagle Scout. Mostly because it isn't for everyone. And it's not all just fun. It takes a lot of work.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

FWIW I hated cub scouts and so did my son but he loved boy scouts and is an eagle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm shocked to hear they are still around. I thought they had file bankruptcy and closed shop after all sexual abuse. Hope they get it figured out.

Comment

https://www.traillifeusa.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, the reason he asked about it was because they came to their school and sold it to them. My wife and I talked and we decided to find another venue for him to get more involved in outdoor activities. Thanks Philip-TX for the link, that is exactly what we are thinking.

Comment

My son has been in cub scouts for 3 years. He is 9 now. His step grandpa is an Adult Scout Leader and well decorated (I don’t know what they all mean). That is what interested my son. There are some girls in different troops but haven’t had any with my son. It really isn’t that big of deal from what I’ve noticed. My son loves it. Camping, shooting, building any and everything, learning science.
                        It’s 1 hour a week, aside from different hiking/ camping events, and follows along with the school year schedule.

My son loves it. He feels accomplished when he works hard on something and is awarded a new pin or belt loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been involved with cub scouts for 4 years, the last 3 as a den leader. My son is an Arrow of Light this year, and will cross over into boy scouts in February. I'd be more than happy to discuss with you.

Comment

4H / Jr FFA For Us, Lots more to do than raise animals..

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                              X2

Active parent/parents can make this really cool for this age kid. Go to some meetings, size things up. Since you are on TBH I’ll say it right off, your outdoor expertise will be welcome and helpful for the kids. And the more “indoor” parents will follow your lead when it comes to outdoor things, that’s how it worked for me and my son in Cub Scouts.
                              This ^^^^. My son was in Cub Scouts and all them city folk parents in Plano thought I was the greatest thing in the world. I was the one who showed them how to pitch a tent and other outdoor things. I even went as far as to get certified as an archery instructor and helped other packs get their badges. They really flipped out on one of our campouts when I caught an armadillo by hand and walked around showing it to the kids.

Comment

Cub scouts can be a blast if you get a few good families. A couple **** parents can ruin a den using it as daycare.
                                I helped out for a few years and was a den leader for a few months until covid shut us down.
                                Our family has since switched to 4-H. So far, it feels like going from riding a bike to flying a plane. The parents, kids and programs are totally inclusive, but there’s no time for any wokeness.
                                The opportunities seem a little greater and the skills a lot more applicable. I do think earning an Eagle Scout isn’t a bad thing, but I see greater depth and impact with 4-H
                                I’d say do both and you can always focus on one. If nothing else it’s time with your son and maybe great opportunity to have a positive impact on another kid. We had a couple of single moms who’s kids needed a little extra time with positive role models.

Comment

Working...
                                X