This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    IMO, the Longhorns stand to be the the biggest beneficiary of a move to the SEC, financially and athletically (program wise). I happen to think A&M is likely to get the second biggest bump, followed by Oklahoma and the rest of the SEC teams. (I will add that Arkansas could actually get a substantial bump, competitively, as well.)

Bama, LSU, UGA, Florida, and the upper echelon teams in the current SEC will obviously continue to recruit at their normally high level, as will OU.

But I think the Longhorns and Ags (along with OU, LSU and possibly Arkansas) will be in better position to recruit the Texas kids that might otherwise have gone to TCU, Tech or Baylor, especially if those schools aren’t able to jump on another P5 wagon.

I also think the increased strength of league could even negatively impact recruiting powerhouses like OSU, Clemson, ND, Oregon, etc.

Of course, there will still be highly rated Texas HS kids that go out of state, but I think most will give even higher consideration to SEC schools, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So you like Texas to the SEC? You seem to have done a complete 180?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      So you like Texas to the SEC? You seem to have done a complete 180?

See Michael’s post # 603.

Comment

So you don’t have to search, post 603...
        Count me as a proponent. I want the annual game back! I’m not sure about the proposed POD, though- that would mean that ATM and tu probably wouldn’t play annually. Of course, tu/OU would need to play every year, and I’d like to see LSU/A&M every year, too. A POD of OU, tu, LSU and A&M would be entertaining (ESPECIALLY from a TBH perspective!) but would be a rough schedule every year!

The speculation is fun!

As an Aggie and a Texan, I want the annual rivalry back ASAP. Like you, I’d love to see the Horns and Ags strong at the same time. I think this increases the likelihood of that happening.

As a fan of tradition and CFB, I agree that the move (along with NIL and the portal) are collectively bad for college football as we know it. Some programs (including mine and yours) will benefit while other programs (in Texas and elsewhere) will surely suffer. Some will not survive, at least in the capacity we’ve known, historically.

Change is inevitable. I’m happy to be among the “haves” but feel bad for fans of the many schools that now have uncertain futures.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Spot on Michael. I agree with you.

Comment

Transfer portal gonna be smokin

Comment

As an Aggie and a Texan, I want the annual rivalry back ASAP. Like you, I’d love to see the Horns and Ags strong at the same time. I think this increases the likelihood of that happening.

As a fan of tradition and CFB, I agree that the move (along with NIL and the portal) are collectively bad for college football as we know it. Some programs (including mine and yours) will benefit while other programs (in Texas and elsewhere) will surely suffer. Some will not survive, at least in the capacity we’ve known, historically.

Change is inevitable. I’m happy to be among the “haves” but feel bad for fans of the many schools that now have uncertain futures.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. The haves are exponentially widening the gap, fun to watch great football but sucks for the overall good of the college game IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                Nobody really hated Baylor before Briles. They just didn’t respect them. They were pretty much irrelevant to the point of not even being an after thought.

LOL yes they did its been that way for ages, I remember it well when they started winning in the 80's. There was even a good contingent of Waco locals that hated them then, never hear of the Baylor bubble?

Comment

Being an old fart I hate that money now rules everything. I'm old enough to still remember the old SWC that I loved growing up. Dad would take me to all the Baylor home games. This was 60 years ago. Could buy tickets at game time in the end zone. Every now and then might get 20 yard line tickets. Loved watching Don Truell and Lawrence Elkins! That's it. Back to todays time.
                  Last edited by doghouse; 07-24-2021, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                    LOL yes they did its been that way for ages, I remember it well when they started winning in the 80's. There was even a good contingent of Waco locals that hated them then, never hear of the Baylor bubble?
                    Grew up in Waco. No one hated them. The locals support them now. From 75-84 Baylor was a bigger threat than the Aggies for Texas.

Comment

Agreed X2

It’ll be interesting to see how many football programs are lost over the next 3-6 years with the superconferences undoubtedly forming and the NIL (or is it NLI) pay to play starting.

Comment

College Football Summer Ramp Up...

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                        Transfer portal gonna be smokin

I could see players wanting to leave a rotting Big 12 or some top talent in a conference looking to get to the SEC.

There was even rumors of the SEC looking forward to a 20 team conference. Not sure if true.

Last edited by Brock Middlebrook; 07-25-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I have been reading other “biased” articles from various schools recently trying to get an idea of where some of the schools may be in terms of their vote. I’m sure most of it is just opinions of the writer, but a Razorback article i saw earlier claims there may be a 4th no. Their guess, A&M and Mizzou are hard No’s as well as Arkansas who is supposedly still butthurt from SWC days.
                          Their prediction, LSU with Woodward and his ties to A&M could be the final No vote.

I seriously thing the additional 60+ Million in yearly revenue will over ride any hard feelings and get a unanimous Yes vote unless A&M just wants to stick to principle and vote No anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                            I have been reading other “biased” articles from various schools recently trying to get an idea of where some of the schools may be in terms of their vote. I’m sure most of it is just opinions of the writer, but a Razorback article i saw earlier claims there may be a 4th no. Their guess, A&M and Mizzou are hard No’s as well as Arkansas who is supposedly still butthurt from SWC days.
                            Their prediction, LSU with Woodward and his ties to A&M could be the final No vote.

I seriously thing the additional 60+ Million in yearly revenue will over ride any hard feelings and get a unanimous Yes vote unless A&M just wants to stick to principle and vote No anyway.

Tending to lean on this thought process as well. Not all Aggies are against this though as some assume on here. This is a huge money deal and all schools included will increase revenue significantly. Other thought....If this NIL stuff and Transfer Portal crushes College Sports then I for one will treat them no different than I treat Professional sports. I have better things to do with my time than sit in front of a tv.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post

The vote portion is all but done. That will not be what stops this. There really isn't anything stopping it. Its a done deal. Some are hoping for 2022 but I think 2023 is as early as it gets. The vote has happened so to speak. I'll go out on a limb and say everyone votes yes...even the ags.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                                Tending to lean on this thought process as well. Not all Aggies are against this though as some assume on here. This is a huge money deal and all schools included will increase revenue significantly. Other thought....If this NIL stuff and Transfer Portal crushes College Sports then I for one will treat them no different than I treat Professional sports. I have better things to do with my time than sit in front of a tv.

My BIL is one of them that graduated 2015 from A&M. Hes pretty excited to see how it shakes out.

I may be mistaken, but i thought the NIL was pointed toward sponsors/businesses paying the athletes, not the university itself? I haven’t done a deep dive in the workings of that part yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X