Wet aging briskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet aging briskets

I read an article last night suggesting to wet age briskets in the cryovac bags for 30-45 days from packing date (usually the date is printed on the packaging).

Anyone do this? It is supposed to improve the tenderness because the aging process allows for enzymes to break the meat down

Check the date and buy one that has been aged already.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
      Check the date and buy one that has been aged already.

30-45 days? I would be surprised to find one that old in a supermarket cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bringing this up again. Anyone ever done it?

Got a certified angus brisket that was packed 5/26. Planning to cook it June 15th-ish. Does this actually improve tenderness? Any chance it goes bad in that time period? Checked vac bag and it is good and sealed.

Comment

I have heard of dry aging and aging in a brine like they do for corned beef. Would not want to eat a cryovac brisket 20 days after sale by date.

Comment

Sounds to me like you need to go buy another one closer to cook time and do a side by side test. If the wet age one is no good you still got the good one. Then you can educate us on wet aging.

Comment

I've done this a couple times. Aged for 30 days after packing date. Try to keep it in a fridge that isn't opened often if you can. It does help with tenderizing and have a stronger beef flavor. Note will smell stronger beefy/earthy odor when opening bag. If it went bad you'll know the difference. Also another good indicator is bubbles in the bag. Smaller than a dime you're good. Dime size and larger pitch it it's bad.
              Last edited by Fishxbones; 05-27-2018, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                I have heard of dry aging and aging in a brine like they do for corned beef. Would not want to eat a cryovac brisket 20 days after sale by date.
                If you have ate at any restaurant that wet ages their beef you have ate beef that has been in cryovac for 30-45 days

Comment

I do it all the time and have gone as long as 55 days. There is definitely a difference and I prefer to do them this way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the risk for spoilage? I have family coming and don’t really want to waste a brisket and have to take the time and expense to replace it

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      What is the risk for spoilage? I have family coming and don’t really want to waste a brisket and have to take the time and expense to replace it
                      Very low risk. I have worked for a steak restaurant for 20 years. We get our beef in aged a minimum of 28 days. I have some of it in my possession for 21 more days before we cook it. When you open the cryovac it will smell strong. Almost a liver smell. Let it sit unwrapped for a couple hours and the smell will go away. We let our steaks “bloom” almost like a fancy wine before we cook them.

Comment

I'm doing another brisket as before. Opened bag one week after sell by date. Good beef brisket smell, but not a foul smell.

Rinsed it. Dried it. Put back in coldest part of fridge for 3-5 hours before I trim it and season overnight back in the coldest part of the fridge.

I prefer my mule deer and elk opened and fridge dried for a day before cooking too. I don't "bleed the meat" or soak in any liquids.

I also like smoking fresh brisket just as well. Our life's schedules today dictate timing and requires flexibility on my part.

I'm always open to learning from all of the more experienced here.
                        Last edited by tigerscowboy; 07-16-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

IMO, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I can make a pretty solid Brisket....IIADFI

What is wrong with good old smoked brisket?

Comment

You need to pm smart he's the head BBQ guy

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Prime brisket from Costco. Leave in plastic wrap for 40 days from package date in fridge (33-36 degrees). Huge difference. Never had a bad smell or change or color. Mustard and pickle juice coating then salt and pepper or Hutchins rub.

Comment

Working...
                              X