Teen Driver Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teen Driver Insurance

Well, my daughter has finally decided to get her license. We have an old vehicle that she will drive. What is the cheapest way to insure her? Can you we just insure her on her car? Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Its cheapest to put her on your policy. Most companies that I am aware of will not insure a teen driver on their own policy. Several companies will give discounts for good grades etc...

I'm an Agent for Farm Bureau. If you have any questions email me jphillips1@txfb-ins.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

If she has good grades in school some insurance companies take that as a reduced rate. Also, assign her to a car that you have that has only liability and is not worth much. She can still drive any car without issue, but for insurance purposes she is assigned to the one of least value.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
          If she has good grades in school some insurance companies take that as a reduced rate. Also, assign her to a car that you have that has only liability and is not worth much. She can still drive any car without issue, but for insurance purposes she is assigned to the one of least value.
          It dont work this way anymore. They have to be insured and covered on every vehicle on the policy. You cannot assign them to the beater car.

Comment

Originally posted by chadt1234 View Post
            Well, my daughter has finally decided to get her license. We have an old vehicle that she will drive. What is the cheapest way to insure her? Can you we just insure her on her car? Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.
            Unless something has changed she is going to be an insured driver on every vehicle in the household. You can't buy them a $500 beater car and they just be insured on that. They are going to rated on you and your wife's vehicles also.....unless you file an exclusion. If they drive an excluded vehicle they aren't insured.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
              It dont work this way anymore. They have to be insured and covered on every vehicle on the policy. You cannot assign them to the beater car.
              As ElJefe mentioned, I too am a Farm Bureau agent. There’s no doubt different companies have different rules. I can’t speak for other carriers. With Farm Bureau, if you have as many vehicles insured as you have drivers, then you can assign the kids to the cheapest auto to insure. But that’s the key, you must have as many cars and you do drivers for that to work that way. So yes, you could put her on the old beater with just liability, and she is still covered driving any of your vehicles. Now if she has a wreck in one of the other cars, and a claims adjuster determines she drives THAT car on a regular basis and not the old beater, then they are going to make you switch her over to be the listed driver of the nicer car that’s fully covered. Where some are saying they have to be listed on the more expensive cars, I’d guess maybe you have two cars, and three drivers. In that example, you would have to class her as the driver on the most expensive to insure vehicle on your policy.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                Unless something has changed she is going to be an insured driver on every vehicle in the household. You can't buy them a $500 beater car and they just be insured on that. They are going to rated on you and your wife's vehicles also.....unless you file an exclusion. If they drive an excluded vehicle they aren't insured.
                This is what we were told with my 21 yr old back when he was 16 and now my youngest son who just passed his driving test this Sat.

Comment

I know we have State Farm and when my son turned 16 we put him on the old truck, which is an extra vehicle and only has liability. He also provides his transcripts annually, he is now a sophmore in college, and we go from there. Doing it this way the increase to our insurance was only about $100 a month which I was pleased with! Like I said before, he is assigned to the old beater 2500 dodge but can drive any and all vehicles and is covered.

Comment

Just make them pay their portion of the insurance increase. Its called responsibility. Works fine for my 18 year old.

Comment

Working...
                    X