Best Quail Public Hunting Spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Quail Public Hunting Spots?

Any recommendations for public hunting spots in Texas for Quail? I'd like to start planning for the next season.

I've had three different people tell me three different spots, so I haven't had any consistent recommendations.

I don't mind traveling a long distance for the right spot(s). A full day trip isn't beyond me.

I'm just getting into Quail hunting. Hopefully the population makes a comeback...really kicking myself for taking so long to do it.

I hunt the Angelina National Forest close to Plumb Ridge the Quail population has exploded there the last few years.I don’t hunt them but I’d imagine if you had a couple decent dogs you could mop up.

Comment

RedBear, that is what good management and prescribed burning can do for habitat.

Comment

Chaparral has a few quail huts a year.

Comment

Best place to go is western half of Kansas. People will let you go hunt pheasant or quail just door knocking. All you gotta do is drive around on the roads till you see birds on the sides of the farmed feilds. Go knock a door or two. And go hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
            Chaparral has a few quail huts a year.
            yeah, but Chap don't have a lotta birds. They used to, but not much in last several years.

Comment

Matador WMA. You better be in shape and have good boots (for you and the dogs)!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                Best place to go is western half of Kansas. People will let you go hunt pheasant or quail just door knocking. All you gotta do is drive around on the roads till you see birds on the sides of the farmed feilds. Go knock a door or two. And go hunt.
                Lots of places to hunt quail here. And they’ve had good crops of birds the last 2 or 3 years. Wished I had known this when I had dogs way back when.
                Haven’t been to Matador in years but it’s a great place to drop some dogs on. Just not going to find a lot of birds there.
                I was down at the Chap couple years back on a archery hunt and never heard a bird whistle. Being on stand before daylight, I was hoping to hear some quail waking up but never did.
                Now this past year I hunted Daughtrey WMA and the unit we were in was loaded with quail. Hearing them whistling at daybreak reminded me of the good ole days.
                Way back when, I had some good hunts at San Angelo SP.
                I believe that’s all the places I’ve been to that had quail.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  Lots of places to hunt quail here. And they’ve had good crops of birds the last 2 or 3 years. Wished I had known this when I had dogs way back when.

Haven’t been to Matador in years but it’s a great place to drop some dogs on. Just not going to find a lot of birds there.

I was down at the Chap couple years back on a archery hunt and never heard a bird whistle. Being on stand before daylight, I was hoping to hear some quail waking up but never did.

Now this past year I hunted Daughtrey WMA and the unit we were in was loaded with quail. Hearing them whistling at daybreak reminded me of the good ole days.

Way back when, I had some good hunts at San Angelo SP.

I believe that’s all the places I’ve been to that had quail.
                  You'll find birds on Matador if you put in the work. The last 2 yrs have been terrible if you want to compare to the previous 3. Still, 5 to 6 coveys in a half day isn't bad!

I need to start hitting other public hunting areas myself just to branch out

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been a long time since I’ve been to Matador, but when we went, it was in good years for quail, at least for west Texas and that part of the state. We did good if we could find 4 coveys all day long. And that was with my 3 brothers & dad. We would scatter out and whistle at daybreak to locate as many coveys as we could. They just wasn’t there. But it’s a big ole place that looks good.
                    Now, we just drive up to Kansas where we can hunt both quail and pheasants. Best of both worlds!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      ^He's not kidding. There are also plenty of walk-in hunting areas that rarely get pressured. I have been wanting to make a public bird hunting road trip up that way for a few years now.

Comment

Heard New Mexico has a lot of quail on public land

Comment

Chap is worth the trip if you've never been for the experience alone.

Comment

I see people hunt around choke all the time for quail they do alright from what I’ve been told to

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks for the info!

There was an ad posted in the classifieds section today about a quail lease. I may be interested if we can get a group to split the costs up...

Comment

Working...
                              X